Adding a bit of drama

Sometimes scanning a sketch or painting allows me to see things I might not have previously noticed, like in this sketch of the windmill in Pointe Claire. The sky was very dark and dramatic at the horizon line today but I didn’t really paint it dark enough(see the top version). After scanning it a first time, I went back and rewet and darkened the sky, let it dry and then scanned it again. The difference is subtle but I think it adds a bit of drama and also helps in separating the sky from the lake.

WindmillinSpring

WindmillinSpring2

20 Comments on “Adding a bit of drama”

1. Patti says:

Definitely makes a difference, more ominous! Love that old mill, so Pointe Claire!!!

• There are only a few of these left. This summer I plan to sketch a few more of them. Apparently there’s an English style mill in Lasalle that is worth seeing too.

2. p sanchez says:

Shari I love you sketches and especially when you point out some techniques I’m trying to get a handle on. Do you have some pointers for getting the rocky textures without overworking the piece? Thank you for the time you take to paint and post so often. Pat

• For rocks and stone texture I make sure to change the colour of the wash as I go along. I try to make every square inch a little bit different, warmer or cooler, lighter or darker. Then I go in with some darker areas and build it up like that. I try not to mix up one big puddle of gray and paint the whole structure with that same mix.

3. Fleet Woodley says:

That’s so neat. I love that old stone windmill. I bet that gets a good breeze off the lake. Does it still work?

See what you mean about subtle. In the second version the lower part of the sky looks fuller and more 3 dimensional though.

~ Fleetwood

• It can be windy in that spot Fleet but it was actually a calm day. The windmill doesn’t work any more but there are lots of people who come by to see it every day. I even saw someone leading a guided historical tour there.

4. Les says:

I really like this piece. It looks like you might have used ink to delineate the cracks in the stone work? Looking at the zoom image I really like these lines. Must have been fun to do.

Another thank you for discussing your technique.

5. Rhonda says:

Beautiful…..I love the detail in the stone.

6. Paula says:

Ink at the stones? Very nice!

7. The darker sky gives more contrast to the colors in the stone. It’s very nice

8. croquedessin says:

You did well, it’s subtle but it give more contrast. Beautiful !

9. george smith says:

Stunning and deft handling of the colors on the windmill. It’s just one more lesson , to me, of the possibilities watercolor offer. There is nothing left to say – you are awesome, Shari.

Your handling of the stone windmill is so effective. I like it so much that I’m jealous.