Rusty darks

I’m always drawn to this mysterious little house, partially in shadow and partially in light, tucked tightly under the rail bridge in Sainte Anne de Bellevue. I never seem to have enough time to check out what’s in this building, but I suspect it has something to do with Parks Canada and the locks on the canal that are just to the left of this that link Lac St. Louis and Lac des Deux Montagnes. The rusty darks are the bridge make some great shapes to paint with my rigger brush. Painted on Saunders Waterford.

HouseUnderBridge

16 Comments on “Rusty darks”

1. Joan says:

Do you suppose it was actually a house/home at one time before the railroad bridge? It would be interesting to know what came first, the chicken or the egg? HA Whatever the story, I love the colors and the strange location of this “house.” Glad you took the time to paint it.

2. Every time I see a sketch(painting) of this small house; I see it in a different way. I always saw it as an insignificant place for, probably, tools and machinery for the locks. But now it’s a cute place.thanks Shari. Francine

3. Bonnie Hasan says:

Hi Shari, I’ve been receiving and loving your Blogs for several months. Sadly, since some 3 or 4 weeks ago, I’ve been unable to receive the actual daily sketch. Not sure why or if anyone else has had this problem. Boo hoo, I miss you so much… Bonnie Hasan bonniehasan@yahoo.com

• Hi Bonnie, I don’t think I can add followers so I hope there is some way you can get back on the followers list. I don’t post as frequently as I used to, so there isn’t a sketch every day, but that may not be what the problem is. I guess you have tried entering your email in the “Follow this blog” field, right?

What a wonderful palette. I am going to shamelessly copy this. The palette, I mean!

5. andre savard says:

Shari, You did an excellent job at this site. I tried to draw it a couple of times but never succeeded like you did.It has movement, although there is no cars or people walking around.

By the way, it is the lock master’s house for parks Canada.

6. Johanne Mireault says:

Que de souvenir de Ste Anne de Bellevue! le magasin Daoust, les écluses. Mes parents ont travaillés pres de 30 ans à l’hopital des vétérans.

• Le magasin est encore là, avec le système unique pour l’argent. C’est une village que j’aime beaucoup déssiner — les écluses, les petites maisons — il y a une charme particulier. Merci Johanne.

7. Monique says:

Ahhh..such a familair sight! On top of my JAC days..

8. Valerie Cousins says:

As I’ve said before, Shari, I don’t comment daily but I enjoy daily. I like the painting you have posted today. I recall seeing that little house under the bridge and have been curious also. Love the variety of earth tones. PS have heard rumours that you have a small book. Where can I get some copies. Christmas is coming😊!

• Hi Valerie, It’s always great to hear from you. The book is available through Blurb. If you go on my site you’ll see the cover on the sidebar. All you have to do is click it and the link will take you there.