The other side of the pool

In the afternoon there is beautiful light and some shadows cast by the palms on this yellow building. Those shadows change quickly at this time of day so I painted things in this order: first a big wash for the sky and then the pale yellow of the building. When that was really dry, I added the shadows cast by the palms on the right, and then the side of the building in shade. After that I added in all the other details like the chairs, the foliage, the trees and the pool which were not as affected by the light as the building. By the time I finished this, it was almost dark and even though it was tempting to keep on adding detail, I stopped because it might have ended up becoming very muddy.
This was the last page in a sketchbook that is mostly filled with Costa Rican sketches. It seems fitting that I finished it on December 31. I hope you all have a wonderful 2015!

TheVilla

19 Comments on “The other side of the pool”

1. A beautiful sketch. You’ve captured the heat of CR. happy new year, Shari. Happy sketching in 2015. Looking forward to seeing more of your blogs. Thanks for sharing.

2. Merci, Shari, pour ta grande générosité…. et quel talent! Bonne Année 2015

3. SusanA says:

I love all these Costa Rican sketches, Shari. The palette you chose is so beautiful. I really feel as if I’m poolside! Thank you for noting your process of capturing the shadows. That was very helpful.

Happy New Year!

4. Isszzy says:

Now, that I have seen the brush you are using I admire all the small details even more!

5. Gail says:

Even though I don’t comment very often, I enjoy your sketches daily! Your commentary is always helpful too. Thanks so much for this daily inspiring lesson.

You are still there! How long can you be there? Is it not the most interesting place?

7. Liliane Partikian says:

Very much enjoyed your Costa Rica sketches….as all your other sketches ….have a happy and healthy New year

8. Heather W says:

It’s been a beautiful series.
    Happy New Year! 🙂

9. Richard says:

Je reconnais tellement la lumière de cette Côte Pacifique! Permettez moi aussi de vous dire que je regarde vos dessins avant même de lire le journal du matin!

Je vous souhaite, Shari, une excellente année 2015 et plein de belles occasions comme celle-là pour égayer nos vies.