The twelve colour palette

I’ve been meaning to write a post about the current colours in my palette but Parka beat me to the punch. If you don’t know Parka Blogs, you should. It’s full of book reviews, interviews with artists, info about art supplies, and Parka’s own sketches. One of his recent posts is called Colours to pick for a 12-pan watercolour palette and it features palette suggestions from Jane Blundell, Liz Steel, Paul Wang, James Gurney, Marvin Chew and me. It’s an interesting read since everyone uses different pigments, although I did note that Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue were included in everyone’s list. You just can’t beat the classics, I guess. The colours in my list are the ones I took to Costa Rica with me and what I used for the black rock sketch below. I will go into more detail about my list in an upcoming post and include some samples as well. Also on my “to do” list: a post featuring my car studio setup and one on my travel setup.

BlackRocks

18 Comments on “The twelve colour palette”

1. Anders says:

Genius !!!

2. Janice Kelky says:

Really looking forward to your notes on car & travel setups,
    Hugely helpful.
    Merci

3. Gabriella says:

I loved that post – so useful and fascinating!

4. Gail says:

Awesome. This is just the kind of thing I love to hear about.

5. anne farmer says:

Thank you, really interesting, especially the info on Parkablog.

That was an interesting palette. But, from my recollections over the years, you have written about many other colours as well… so, do you have a box full of a hundred tubes that you only sometimes use?

7. Marc Lépine says:

So interesting! I’ve always had problems with colors…
    I remember you once revealed your «secret» colors for snow. I noted them, but, but… I lost the little paper… If you don’t have time to answer, I should be with USK on Sunday. So I can wait until then!

8. TonyU says:

Fascinating how fascinating we all find each other’s palettes. I love Parka’s blog but hadn’t seen this post …. looking forward to some special ‘me time’ reading it when I next stop for coffee.

9. george smith says:

When the painting came up on the screen, it took my breath away. Perfect color hamony is a treat to see. It reminds us to take no tube for granted. You’re looser style is showing more detail in the painting than ever. Go figure.

10. Sandi says:

This painting has a lot of movement in it. Thankyou for the links. I never stop learning from this blog. Thankyou so much.