The leftovers

Do you always clean your palette at the end of a sketching day? I’d like to say I do, but that wouldn’t be honest. I clean my brushes but I don’t always get around to scrubbing out the wells of the palette, so sometimes I start the next day with some interesting mud that I can use. Those dried leftovers on the palette can sometimes lead to new mixes that are a little more subtle or muted than what you might mix on a clean palette. This doesn’t work for every subject, of course. For example, if you need a specific colour — like some bright pink or a fresh yellow — you wouldn’t want that dirty palette. But if you are sketching a spring day in Montreal when everything looks quite soft, a little leftover colour is just what you might need to get started. Sketched in a Handbook Watercolour Journal, 8″ x 8″.

PioneerCorner.jpg

22 Comments on “The leftovers”

1. Might be a muddy palette, but the clarity of light in this picture is so stunning.

2. Lori says:

Shari, these leftovers are better than the ones the day after Thanksgiving. The blues are especially beautiful

Brushes, yes. Palette, no.

4. gaelle1947 says:

Those lovely shades of grey are a perfect enhancing backdrop for those brilliant foreground colors. Bravo!!

5. Judy Sopher says:

Beautiful colors for left overs. What blues-or is it a mixture?

6. andre savard. says:

I do it all the time, some times you have some surprising color combinations. Once a palette is in use its useful to keep until your painting is done.

7. Love how the muted times make those primary colours pop.

8. joantav says:

Great job with your leftovers! I don’t clean off my palette very often and find some of the mixes work well too.

9. Lovely. I can feel the warmth of sun on my back, and the fresh cool breeze mixed with the promise of spring! How did you approach it? draw, paint, pen?

• Hi Laurie,
      This was actually an unusual way of working for me. It was pencil first, then wash, and then, when I felt that it needed some lines, I added pen. I don’t usually add pen at the end.
      Shari

10. Loving that warm textured yellow and the enticing spot of pink… against the lavender shadows & other blue / gray tones. A cute little scene!

11. M. L. Kappa says:

I find I use the leftovers on my palette a lot. For shadows, muting skin tones etc. Always clean my brushes, tho! Loved the painting, btw.🌸