Under the tree

In preparation for my upcoming workshops I have been working more on paper instead of in my sketchbook. I did this in my garden, which looked pretty fresh after last night’s thundershowers. The sun came out and lit the hostas that I had potted on the weekend. This took a little longer than my usual sketches, I confess.

Under The Tree

About these ads

37 Comments on “Under the tree”

1. Rhoda says:

This is very life-like Shari. Just lovely.

2. susan says:

I really love your sketches. So inspiring.

3. Monique says:

Wonderful~ I am anxious to get better:) The gardens are glorious today aren’t they?

Love the raindrops..and the lilacs smell so good!

4. Johanne says:

I read the article in the Gazette about your work, I love your work,
    you are truly gifted, hope to do a workshop with you in a near future.

5. Love the contrasts between light and shadows.

6. elaine says:

Shari-your work is like candy to my eye. I love it’s softness, gentley breeze feel and fun fun. Some of my friends want to do a workshop with you but we live in the city. How many people do you need for a group? Is a city workshop possible and if so may be ask some of your rates etc. see address below. Thank you so much for sharing your gift. I guess your name is so apt!!!

7. Jane Hannah says:

So much detail — I understand why it took you longer to pain this, as your detail is exquisite.

8. Jane Hannah says:

“paint” and not pain ;-)))

9. Ross C says:

Wow! I knew you were good… but you just went right off my meter for good watercolourists!

So how much longer are we talking about here? Is this like 30mins longer than your usual one hour per sketch, or is this seriously longer?

• Thank you Ross! I think this took between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. It felt great to do a real “painting” as opposed to the “sketch paintings” I do every other day.

• Ross C says:

Between 1 1/2 and 2 hours!!!! Perhaps you need to rename your workshops to Speed Watercolour Painting. You could make the Canadian Olympic Team if they had the right event for you!

• You really think that is fast? I never spend much more time than that. Otherwise it would be really overworked.

• Ross C says:

Shari, (with respect) sometimes I wonder what planet you are from… yes, I think that is fast! Years ago, I met an artist who did naive paintings… I recall her telling me that, for one painting, she took 2 hours to get one of the greens just right.

• That’s pretty funny. Well you know that old saying about practice… My watercolour teacher used to say “plan like a tortoise and paint like a rabbit”. He also said any old green would do just fine.

10. tmikeporter says:

I absolutely love this one!!

11. Beautiful Shari – if 1 1/2 to 2 hours is long, how long does it take you to do your daily sketches ? Do you do a value sketch before you start painting? Helen.

• I try to do those in less than an hour. And yes, I do a value sketch before I do a bigger painting but not for this one today. Luckily the values worked out fine without the sketch but I have been doing so many of these that often the value sketch gets drawn in my head and not on paper. Even for the little daily sketches I always think about value and composition first.

12. gary osmond says:

it’s just like i’m in your garden…thanks

13. nathalie says:

I found your blog via the Gazette. It is beautiful! I love watercolour!

14. I enjoyed learning about you in the Gazette. And have just done my first two sketches -ever – while waiting for someone’s Dr appointment. I’d like to know if you will have fall classes. It’s your compositions that I really enjoy.

15. Look at all the great comments! How are you keeping up!? So cool…. lots of deserved attention. Woo hoo!

16. carpelibrum says:

Beautiful!

17. [...] It seems that all the hostas in my garden turned bright yellow, probably due to a hit by the first frost earlier in the week. In the springtime I did this very same scene and you can see it here. [...]