Baie des rochers

Today I had a chance to do a real painting using a wet-in-wet technique, something I haven’t done in many years. Now that I have a place to work I can use larger paper, like this 1/4 size sheet of Fabriano (larger than anything I have done this year!). I can’t paint like this in my car because it requires me to completely saturate the paper — both sides —  and then remove the surface water. A bit of a messy business unless you are in the proximity of a sink. It gives me great hope that I will do more of these this winter.

Baie Des Rochers

About these ads

21 Comments on “Baie des rochers”

1. captelaine says:

Well it turned out beautiful…. worth all the effort. I love Fabriano paper, I like the 300 weight so I don’t have to bother stretching it.

2. Anonymous says:

Beautiful! You are sooo talented. I love it. xx M Le Nov 14, 2012 6:52 PM, The Sketchbook a crit : > >

3. Anne H says:

Nicely done! I especially like the way the light reflects off the foreground rocks.

4. Your balance of both warm and cool colors, and light and dark values is excellent. love the hint of yellow in the front center.

5. marctaro says:

Bravo! Can’t wait to see a demo someday :)

6. Ross C says:

Yes, I have to admit that you had a reasonable go at this and achieved a not-bad result. The rocks are good with the fading detail as they get closer… the touch of yellow adds a lot of interest… the wet-in-wet water with the reflections works very well… the moody hills across the lake give it a lot of depth. So, overall, not bad. (I am working really hard to restrain myself here to save you from going on an ego trip and getting a swelled head) : )

7. Mary says:

Breathtaking Shari, with such a dramatic perspective :)

8. jane says:

Hi Shari,

I think that the wet-on-wet seems to work perfectly with the mood of the painting? Very misty and you can almost feel the water moving… or am I hallucinating this morning? No matter, I love it!

9. Kathrine O'Neill says:

Shari, lovely painting.
    Quick question, is this Baie des rochers in Charlevoix – 1/2 way between St-Simion and Tadoussac?

10. drawandshoot says:

Shari, this is gorgeous. All those blocky repetitions are wonderfully interesting.