Monkland Taverne

I haven’t been sketching in the city much this winter because I have been working on some other projects but I miss that urban observation. I was in NDG today and I stopped to sketch the Monkland Taverne. It is a restaurant now but it has one of the best examples of old signage that I can think of in the city. I have been wanting to sketch this for so long. Lucky for me across the way there is a café with a counter and stools in front of the window.

Monkland Tavern

About these ads

21 Comments on “Monkland Taverne”

1. Sue says:

love the color! Nice!

2. Carolyn says:

I used to live around the corner– lovely memories seeing this :) Thank you.

3. Mrs. P says:

Beautiful sketch. I can see why you have been wanting to do it. What is NDG?

• Thanks Mrs. P. NDG is short for Notre Dame de Grace and it’s a neighbourhood in Montreal. I guess I should have identified it that way but no one in Montreal calls it that.

• Mrs. P says:

Please,don’t change the way you write…most of your readers get it, I’ll just ask when I don’t.

4. … love your building watercolors Shari.

5. jane says:

Hi Shari,

I absolutely love this! It is just next to my hair stylist “Au Premier” too, so it is kind of neat. I love your colours but I especially appreciate the signate — totally gorgeous ;-)

6. Mary says:

What a great watercolour, Shari…..beautiful everything and I love it :)

7. I love the blue and purple windows! It’s like they are reflective, but you can still see inside.
    Way cool.

M.M.

8. Ross C says:

I went to street-view to compare the actual place with your sketch… I was surprised to see just how similar they were, except for the different seasons… no outdoor seating in your sketch. Nicely captured, Shari! The “Taverne” sign particularly was sooo accurate… you didn’t take a photo and trace that did you?
    But on another more serious matter, somehow I seem to have missed the February 2 post… I always assumed that when I paid my subscription for this blog that there was going to be a post every day… it does say at the top of the page “A different drawing every day”. In Australia, when we say “every” day, we mean in EVERY 24 hour period… am I missing something here? Do you want to change your header to “A different drawing every day that I fell like posting!” : )

• It’s amazing how little a paid subscription to a blog can get you these days!
      Put “Groundhog Day” into your Canadian Dictionary and see what you come up with. I am pretty certain you don’t celebrate this in Australia.
      I have a disclaimer hidden in the code of my blog that says “No sketches on Groundhog Day!”

• Ross C says:

OK, so now I know that Feb 2 was Groundhog Day… we did get a post on Groundhog Day last year… so I am thinking that the hidden code is perhaps a little toooo convenient… Perhaps you need to change the code to “A different drawing every day that I damn-well fell like posting!” And yes, I have seen the movie… OK, so now I know that Feb 2 was Groundhog Day… we did get a post on Groundhog Day last year… so I am thinking that the hidden code is perhaps a little toooo convenient… Perhaps you need to change the code to “A different drawing every day that I damn-well fell like posting!” And yes, I have seen the movie… OK, so now I know that Feb 2 was Groundhog Day… we did get a post on Groundhog Day last year… so I am thinking that the hidden code is perhaps a little toooo convenient… Perhaps you need to change the code to “A different drawing every day that I damn-well fell like posting!” And yes, I have seen the movie…