A different triad

Although I often select a triad of primary colours for my sketches and go on to mix  the secondary colours, there are times when mixes and blends just don’t cut it. Today I used gamboge, sap green and some type of purple, straight from the tube.

Echinacia

24 Comments on “A different triad”

1. Mrs. P says:

Those are beautiful!

2. Alison says:

Mmmmmmm! How lovely! Beautiful treatment – has that signature Shari feel. Delightful!

3. tmikeporter says:

When sketching, such expediency is forgiveable, esp. when the product is as lovely this one.

4. Paula Seixas says:

Shari, great work. Do you use a pen – what type? Do you use it before or after you put color? Thank you

Sent from my iPad

• Hi Paula,
      Thanks! I use a very fine Micron pen (005). I always use it before and then add colour. Actually, that’s not perfectly accurate. I sometimes add an ink line after I have done the colour but I’m always unhappy with the results because it’s as if I’m outlining the painting. I like it when the line and colour are offset a bit.

5. Angie Macleod says:

Fresh and free! Love it!

I like the composition… the offset focus and the varied white space work so well. I would have had to resist placing the cluster of blooms closer to the centre of the page. It is also a good demonstration of the fact that subjects like flowers don’t have to be perfect specimens to result in beautiful drawings… these flowers were obviously past their prime.
    And three colours, straight out of the tubes, work really well too… I say, why bother with the stress of mixing colours… just buy more tubes.

• All my watercolour rules have gone down the tubes (no pun intended!). I use pans, colour straight from the tubes, next thing you know I’ll be saving my whites with frisket…

• Ross says:

Good to see you starting to break your own rules… perhaps you need to buy some white paint as well as the frisket.
        From my observation, it is hard to find absolute rules in art… I remember being so surprised (shocked even) when I heard that David Hockney was using ballpoint pens(!!!) for his drawings… and then he did those interesting photographic mosaics with polaroid prints. Imagine that!

• What do think of the iPad drawings?

• Ross says:

If you had asked me ten years ago I would have probably scoffed… you are not the only one who had rigid ideas. But now, I tend to think isn’t this just a new medium for art? There was possibly a time when artists may have looked down on various types of pencils, pens and brushes as new media as well.
        This doesn’t mean I personally want to go that way… I’m too much of a traditionalist who likes the feel of paper and sketchbooks, but for others… just go for it! What do you think, Shari?

• I love the Hockney ipad drawings as well as everything else he does. But he is just so prolific and this is just one of they many ways he works. He hasn’t given up paper, nor canvas and probably not photography either. Like you, I still prefer to work on paper.

7. Angie Macleod says:

I would like a course on iPad drawing class please! Anyone know of one?

8. Don McNulty says:

Love this, I think you could sell a zillion cards/prints of this. Always enjoy your art – magic!

9. Mark Blair says:

I am completely in love with this painting. Something about the pure, bright colours, and the slightly cartoony (if I can say that and only mean good things) leaves and pedals. It’s fabulous; utterly wonderful.

+1 for Don’s suggestion, I’d buy a print of this in a heartbeat.