October wheelbarrow

A bit of bad planning at work here — I started drawing the foliage against the fence and when I got to the wheelbarrow it was planted right on the seam of my sketchbook. But I stuck with it anyway, knowing that the composition would have been more successful a few inches to the right.

It’s been quite some time since I’ve picked up my Moleskine sketchbook, the one with the yellowish paper that fights back when you try to paint on it. You actually have to be forceful to get paint onto this. Scrub it first with a first layer of wash and let it dry, then apply paint very gently. But I like the book despite the struggle. It can take fine brush details that other sketchbooks can’t, and once you conquer its resistant surface, you can get several layers of darker paint onto it.

OctoberWheelbarrow

18 Comments on “October wheelbarrow”

1. margo vonk says:

Beautiful drawing, painting.

2. Vicky Porter says:

This is lovely. It has that weathered look that really reflects this time of year. Thank you for the Moleskine advice. I may try my neglected Moleskine again, now that I know how to make the paper more receptive.
    Finally, congratulations on your two year sketching anniversary. LIke so many others, I have really enjoyed seeing your daily sketches and I have often referred back to them in hopes of gaining some insight. I really appreciate that you share your process and the beautiful results.

• Let me know if you like the Moleskine after you try it a second time. I always like to hear how other people manage with this.
      And thanks for the nice wishes on the anniversary. I always appreciate hearing from you.

3. Monique says:

I love the line through the barrow~

4. jane says:

I really like the atmosphere and light in this one… the Moleskine does have an unexpected effect which is really nice. Happy Thanksgiving too -)

5. tmikeporter says:

Shari,
    I also use that sketchbook, so thank you for the observation from your experience. Do you have another favorite book with paper that you like? Stillman & Burns I’ve heard is a good brand.

• I’ve heard Stillman & Birn is good too but they are very hard to find here so I don’t use them much. Marc Holmes has done some beautiful things on them. They have some very thick papers that take beautiful washes.

6. Louise, Montréal says:

Shari,

Thank you so much for those two years of ”sharing” …
    We have learned something with each of your post.

I am getting to know your back yard pretty well. Beautiful.

8. Betty says:

Another beautiful drawing.

9. marctaro says:

There is a small club of people now that look forward to your wheelbarrow showing up every year. You should bring it to your next show. Could use it for a print rack!