Friday tulipsPosted: February 28, 2014
Yesterday my tulips were half closed but today they are starting to open and I decided to paint them in situ instead of isolating them like I usually do. I haven’t ever found an orange that I really like in watercolour (cadmium orange is so opaque!) so I usually make my own mix. For these I used a mix of New Gamboge and Alizarin Crimson. What I like about these types of mixes is that instead of having a flat orange, you sometimes get a yellowish orange or a reddish-orange if you let some of the blending happen on the sheet. That’s always a lot more dynamic than a flat wash of orange paint straight from the tube.