Blooms

I’m always afraid of painting flowers that look stiff and dry. I was quite happy with the results of working on a large page of my Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook. With a good amount of wash on my brush I was able to obtain all kinds of juicy effects and lots of blooms on the blooms.

TulipPage

18 Comments on “Blooms”

1. Dee says:

Just right. Love the blends and runs..

2. Janet Beare. says:

Love your work & admire your discipline getting out to paint. You might be interested in Nina Johansson’s blog post Jan.25/14 re watercolour painting I the winter cold.
    Cheers, Janet.

3. Linda Daily says:

So beautiful to see this lovely sketch on a rainy,grey Portland day.
    What size is your S&B sketchbook? What lovely results you get on the Beta paper!

I love tulips… they always look like a flower that would be designed by a graphic artist.

Every upload is a watercolor lesson for me. Thanks, Shari.

6. Monique says:

I ahve been spoiling myself for 2 weeks in a row with Costco tulips..
    Yours are BEAUTIFUL.

7. Connie says:

Beautiful blooms! Maybe spring is around the corner 😉

8. Alison says:

This painting has a wonderful geometric quality to it. I can image it rendered in stained glass. What a great punchy orange. What colours did you use to get the orange, and greens?

9. Linda Daily says:

Shari,I have not tried this size but was very happy with the smaller Beta which I filled on
    last year’s trip to NYC and with Portland sketches,also. I find you cannot mess with the paint much once it is dry. I may have to buy this larger one, heaven knows I don’t have enough
    sketchbooks!

• You are right about that Linda. These books work best if you get it right on the first try. I added layers of paint on my Bosc pears that I did the other day and it didn’t work out that well.