The thrill is gone

At our USk Montreal outing yesterday I started my day with this sketch of the Korean church, but I never had time to complete it for two good reasons: the group was moving on and it was REALLY cold so the washes weren’t drying. I was thinking of working on it some more at home but then I thought about that a bit and decided to post it this way. Part of the experience of sketching outdoors, in all weather, is that sometimes you just don’t get to finish stuff. I did snap a quick photo but some how the thrill of painting all that beautiful stonework and the tarnished copper dome was gone. And the parts that I did manage to complete were the most interesting parts anyway.

KoreanChurch

11 Comments on “The thrill is gone”

1. liz bundle says:

great – staggering what a sense of detail the unfinished dome gives…and yet (which I so love) when one looks deep its all suggestion. luv it.

• I responded to Marc’s comment first but it is true. This is how he paints and it’s what I love about his work. So much suggested. I guess sitting next to him to do this rubbed off on me, even though our sketches of the same building look completely different.

2. Linda Daily says:

I love this sketch just the way it is. I think it looks finished!

3. marctaro says:

See, that’s what’s great about working under pressure of bad weather – you only have time to paint the good parts!

4. Nathalie says:

Great sketch. It is the ste-Cunégonde church located in the Little Burgundy and built in the Beaux-arts style in 1906 – as per the neighborhood’s website.

5. andre savard says:

Shari, its beautifull, less is more.

6. Suzanne M says:

Love it this way!

7. Reminds me of the time I was sketching with watercolors in the Negev desert, and having to work fast because the very arid air was drying everything out way too fast.

8. So true, it’s hard to complete a piece form a photograph if you start it on location: I always worry I will draw in too much: stuff the camera captured but I woudn’t have if I drew on location. I like this one: the ‘incompleteness’ of it looks more like selective focus.