Emerald Pools

I sketched so much this summer that I am still finding things I haven’t posted — like this sketch of the lower Emerald Pool at Zion National Park in Utah. What makes Zion unique among the Utah parks is it’s lushness. When you climb the trail towards the pools, you walk under waterfalls (which I imagine are quite wonderful in the spring but are reduced to no more than a trickle in late summer) and through hanging gardens of moss and ferns. I never made it up to the other pools (that’s what happens when you stop to sketch) but I can see why this is one of the most popular trails in the park.

EmeraldPool

15 Comments on “Emerald Pools”

1. was SOOO good to see you today; and to see all your masterpieces . and your sketches!!!
    again thanks, Now I will try my son’s pictures
    can’t believe, after a long day you just had, you still send us a sketch.THAK YOU. and take care
    Francine

• Francine, it was wonderful to see you too. It was thanks to you that I found these unposted sketches, so I had to post one of them even though I am so tired I can hardly speak. It was a great weekend!

2. Mary says:

It was just great seeing you today Shari, surrounded by your beautiful work and admiring friends. Yes, it is exhausting talking to so many people and thank you for taking the time and energy to post a pic. You have sure captured the power and glory of these huge rock formations and I love the fine liner squiggles giving linear description 🙂 i shall forward the picture taken of another happy moment with “our great Shari” 🙂

• Mary, it just would not have been the same if I hadn’t seen you. It was great to catch up and I’m so glad you made it. I look forward to seeing the photo and seeing you again soon too.

I like the sketch. But I am failing to see the emerald pools?

4. TonyU says:

Hi Shari. What a lovely surprise and start to the week here in the UK to see another of your wonderful Utah sketches. Everything about them is just perfect. Here’s hoping there’s a few more still waiting to be refound! Best. Tony

• Hi Tony,
      Thanks! Yes, there are more that I had forgotten about. I brought my sketchbooks to the outdoor art show I was in on the weekend and as some people were flipping through them we spotted a bunch of unpublished sketches. So more to come!

5. KnitNell says:

Beautiful sketch – I love this drawing style.

Your under drawing in ink is so instructional. Thanks. Love the composition, too.

7. Les says:

Very nice line work in this sketch!

8. Love this sketch and love this place. It’s near where I bumped into Marina form Israel, wet sketchbook in hand… my first Urban Sketcher meeting in real life!