Village at dusk

I’m just back from a vernissage of work from the Art Rental Collection at the Stewart Hall Gallery. I think it’s a great concept: rent the work first, live with it a while and if you like it, purchase it. There are over 100 works (paintings, prints, photos and drawings) in the show, including two of my paintings (The Windmill and Poppies Today) and the show is on until November 23.

My sketch today didn’t come out exactly as I had hoped. I was returning home from the show along the Lakeshore in Pointe Claire just before sunset, and the village was silhouetted against this great dramatic sky. I quickly parked, found a table in the park and pulled out my sketchbook. There wasn’t really time to draw much — I was losing the light, the wind was fierce and I was looking into the sun — but I’m glad I seized the moment. I’m not sure what I would have done differently with the luxury of time and still air. Probably painted the silhouette more finely, the clouds more delicately, the colours more cleanly. And probably wiped up the paint splashes too. But every day is just another experiment and another opportunity to try something new.

VillageDusk

16 Comments on “Village at dusk”

1. carol says:

that is soooooooooo beautiful. love the dark blues. very moody and dramatic.

2. Angie Macleod says:

Just say thanks, that is a perfect little WC sketch! 💕

3. Marc Lépine says:

It’s absolutely beautiful! On est toujours sévères pour nous-même !!!! Dommage ! Je comprends maintenant pourquoi vous n’étiez pas à la rencontre des USK de Montréal aujourd’hui…

• Oui, c’est vrai. I’ll say this in English because I don’t know how to say it in French: if we were satisfied with what we did then what would be the point of trying? I hope the USk outing was fun. I’m sorry I missed it.

4. munchmeister says:

I love dusk photos, night photography and… this. Lovely.

5. croquedessin says:

You represented the dusk very well ! Beautiful sketch.

6. Susan Cooke says:

Such wonderful mood. Reminds me of my walks with the weather changing.

7. Joan says:

I don’t know what you think you didn’t capture, but in my opinion you’ve given the sense of a cloudy, blustery fall day. I can feel the cold, it makes me shiver.