The white stuff

Winter started with a bang. No flurries or occasional flakes. This is the real thing. Heavy and slushy snowball snow that bends tree branches and sends cars sliding into ditches.

I love painting in winter, discomfort and all. Perhaps because when I started my daily sketches in 2011 it was around this time of year, and I spent much of the winter painting snow scenes from the car. I love how snow softens and changes the scenery and brightens the light. And how it provides the instant light values that I am always searching for in the landscape. Everything goes from drab to glittering in an instant. By March I’ll be moaning and longing for some warmth but for now I’m quite content to see the return of the white stuff.

NovemberChocolatier

14 Comments on “The white stuff”

1. whimseytopia says:

Wonderful sky. Wonderful painting.

2. Dee says:

Is this the Chocolate shop? Is is really cold down here in Ark. But no snow. Old folks here would say it is too cold to snow! The leaves are just turning, but it is low 20’s at night. Very strange times for us.

3. Jeff Gold says:

I recognized this as the chocolatier of previous postings, “winterchocolatier” and “chocolatiermarlain”. They are all wonderful and yet different studies. The freshness of your feeling for winter light comes across beautifully.

4. pegjuanita says:

Shari!! You are back!! (Not that you’ve been gone – but this kind of watercolor seems more in the classic Blaukopf style!!) I love this one, and of course, I’m jealous that you have some thrilling SNOW!!!!!

5. Linda Daily says:

I love this Shari! I,too,recognized it as the sweet chocolate shop you have painted before. I really like it with snow. We get it so rarely in Portland yet I always wish for one great snowfall a year.

• Thanks Linda. All the West Coast people are jealous of this snow. Wish I could send some your way but I keep inviting people here in the winter to paint with me. Oddly, no one has said yes yet.

6. Evelyn Aung-Thwin says: