Panorama break

From my window spot at school I have a good panoramic view of the south flank of the mountain, Université de Montréal and the Oratory (not included here). The details of the buildings are hard to distinguish but there is definitely architecture, some of it lit in the bright November sun and some in shade. From that distance it’s also hard to detect colour temperature. I can see warmth in the brick buildings, in the sunlit facades and in the now bare trees, but it’s cool on the shadow sides of the buildings. The best way to deal with all of that is to put in a little bit of everything — building shapes, some warm, some cool, some light and some dark, as well as the big mountain shape which also goes from warm to cool — and hope that all the bits and pieces come together to give the impression of a city on a frigid yet sunny November morning.

NovemberPanorama

17 Comments on “Panorama break”

1. Nathalie says:

Really beautiful and amazing light. Merci Shari.

2. Janice Kelly says:

Amazing & inspirational output on a daily basis. Should I try to keep up or submerge into a non-productive funk?

3. Amazing. Very well done.

4. Dee says:

Playing with blocks! Fun..good result!

5. Renata says:

Hi Shari
    your skyes are allwayss so nice!!!

6. croquedessin says:

Awesome cityscape !

Good! I like the simplified shapes of the buildings… I always find it hard to know how much detail to show on buildings.

8. Amazing how you manage to make all those colors look so cohesive together. Are you using a lot more pigment to water ratio here than you usually do Shari, or am I just seeing it that way?

• You’re right Suhita. I did use a lot of pigment on the mountain and building part. And good paper which makes a huge difference. It was a 1/8 piece of Arches Bright White cold pressed which is why the colours look so good. Makes me wonder why I don’t use that all the time.

• And I forgot to mention that the cohesiveness is because of a limited palette. Cerulean, burnt sienna, alizarin and ultramarine.