The centrepiece

I’ve thrown caution to the wind. Chucked the rule book out the window. For years I made greens from various blue and yellow combinations but now they come straight out the tube. And because I don’t have to add lots of water to make the mixes I can get purer and more saturated colour. Don’t know why I waited so long…

TheCenterpiece

23 Comments on “The centrepiece”

1. jane nicholson says:

Would you please let me know which greens you actually used for this?

2. Tony says:

Strange that you can be a rebel just by doing the easy thing. Big surprise – but lovely vibrant painting. Did the subject help you make the decision, or did you decide to give it a go regardless of subject matter? Best, Tony

• Thanks Tony. I have been changing the way I use colour since this summer when I took the workshop with Tom Hoffmann. He uses so much pure colour and I never really understood how he did it until I watched him. It was quite fascinating to me to see him add pure colour into a wash of a completely different colour, using much less water on his brush that I do.

3. Sandi says:

Good on you for getting rid of that rule book, and for passing on the beautiful results of your inspiration.

4. Joan Clow says:

Shari, I love this picture. May I ask what colors you used and what brand of paint? I really enjoy seeing your paintings and reading your comments. Thank you! Joan

Sent from my iPad

Wow… this is really throwing caution to the wind… I guess, for a watercolourist, this is “living on the edge”… [not sure if my sarcasm is coming through clearly?]
    However, for the rest of the world, this may not seem like extreme behavior. Perhaps, to bring a little perspective to your life, you need to watch this video which greeted me from this morning’s news…

• Yes, your sarcasm is coming through quite clearly. And now that I used pure green I’m going out to get my wingsuit. If you stand outside you can give me hi-five as I pass by!!

• Ross says:

No… don’t try and drag me into your wild and crazy activities… I am happy with my non-extreme activities.
        BTW, the greens are very effective.

6. stacey says:

pay no never mind to the man above. he is living vicariously through someone else’s adventures on the internet. the colors are beautiful as is the painting. thanks for sharing.

7. This is a lovely, vibrant painting. I like it very much and I like the idea of throwing out the rule book. After all it seems rude not to use green when the manufacturers make it for us. I’m going to follow your example and get some. My copy of Mostly Montreal has just arrived. It’s lovely to be able to look at your art more directly than on a screen. I’ll be comparing the greens.

8. anne farmer says:

And the whites – I love the whites: the complete opposite, because they are beautifully not ‘just white’!

9. george smith says:

Really, really very enjoyable to look at – the colors seem perfect to my eye. It may be a tired old cliche,but the less detail the painting, the more the viewer sees by filling in with their own mind, I don’t think anyone’s influence is the single key to your work because you truly know how to “bring it”.

10. pc50 says:

Shari, I love to hear this! Usually you hear “don’t EVER use greens right out of the tube”!

“Mix your own! Much nicer greens that way.”

Well, it seems silly to NEVER use the tube paints as they are–it saves so much time and frustration, and you know what you’re getting!

Thanks for sharing–I love your blog.

Paula Campbell

11. I love the convenience of tube greens. Rather than spend loads of time mixing up a sap green from phthalo green and quin gold, I have the same premixed pigments in Sap green from Daniel Smith. Undersea green is ultramarine and quin gold – a perfect colour for Australian gum leaves. Perylene green is a wonderful deep shadow green. At the very least I have phthalo green even in the most limited palette so I can mix it with yellows, reds and earths to make a huge range of greens fast. I think that’s the key – how much time do you want to spend painting and how much mixing? Besides greens, the rich aubergine and plum colours you can make with phthalo green and a strong crimson are unique.

• It took me a while to appreciate the convenience colours Jane. As I mentioned, I learned watercolour in a different way and sometimes it’s hard to break those old habits. Until you start to question them and ask yourself why you are doing things a certain way. But you’re right about also having a smaller palette of essentials, and if phthalo green is in there you know you will be fine. Thanks for writing!