Bar & Rest

The main public beach in Manuel Antonio is quite long and edged with palm and almond trees. Behind the row of trees there’s a whole other world of things to sketch. Surf shacks, snack bars, little hotels and restaurants, and even a grazing spot for the horses that take riders along the surf. In many ways, these scenes are far more interesting, shadier and quieter than the views of the beach. Hotel Arboleda is one of the places that caught my eye because of the green corrugated tin, the complexity of the shapes and of course the signage.

Bar&Rest

15 Comments on “Bar & Rest”

1. Absolutely beautiful. You have captured the warmth of the region and the colours. You have a superb collection of Costa Rica paintings. Congrats. The Montreal scenes are fabulous as well. You are such an inspiration to so many not only in the finished sketches but also the text which accompanies them. Keep them coming, Shari.

2. cogginsm5 says:

you are very talented, love logging on to check these out.

3. Janice Kelly says:

Loving your posts – you’re very generous. I’m curious as to how much you sketch or outline your subject and to what extent you direct-paint. Inasmuch as it all seems to be done quickly, what’s the process? Is there a quick sketch with WC over?
    Or, is the WC the sketch medium?
    Guess if I have the pleasure of a workshop in Montreal with you this summer I’ll get my answers in part. Persistence is not a bad thing.
    Thanks. You’re a really wonderful inspiration Sjhari.

• Hi Janice. There is a pencil sketch under there. You can probably still see some of the pencil lines if you look closely. I did some erasing but lots of it is still there. Sometimes I do a little value plan in another sketchbook but for this one I had a good idea of what I was going to do so the painting was fairly direct after the pencil.
      Persistence is a good thing. I should be figuring out my summer plans very soon. Thanks for the prodding.

4. Dee says:

My favorite of all your vacation work!

5. TonyU says:

I agree with Dee … this is my favourite too. Absolutely beautiful. Love the way the darks wrap around the lights …. and the colours (including the complementary reds). From The Rock Queen to The Green Goddess no less!

I love this painting… it is just my sort of place… such a relaxed feel.

• Thanks Ross. It seemed to be the kind of place where many locals spent their vacation week. When we arrived there was hardly anyone around but between Christmas and New Years it seemed like all of Costa Rica was on that beach.

I want to be there NOW!. Not nearly enough of these here in Florida.

8. 4Tulemar says:

Indeed, this is a great place to relax. I love this bar.