The dregs

I used to be more fastidious about cleaning my palette but recently I’ve found that if I add some water to the dried sediment left from the last time I painted, I can get an interesting mix that I may want to use somewhere in my sketch. And since I often start by painting the sky, that mix makes some kind of warm or cool grey that might otherwise be hard to create from scratch. Today I painted out at Macdonald Farm in Ste. Anne de Bellevue. Those yellow buildings of the Poultry Complex have appeared often in my sketches but my favourite time to draw them is when they are half hidden in snow. Hope the chickens are keeping warm in there.

SnowMarkers

27 Comments on “The dregs”

Very nice… you make the dregs look wonderful. Love the purple snow.

2. I always learn from you, especially the randomness of things like the poles in the ground placed at different angles versus straight up and down. Love the yellow against the white snow, just like here…tee hee. Jacques

3. Really like it Shari., the yellow building with the snow is lovely!

4. Sue says:

Very nice…love the sky

5. wrightottawa says:

exemplary car painting Sahri

dregs notwithstanding, you’ve avoided the “mud” that dwells on my palette

This is an interesting composition, in terms of values. I’m having a hard time discerning how I might have planed this with 3 greys, but in the end the yellow pops out the subject.

Fun to see, having been there and wrestled with values under your tutelage

• It’s great to hear from you John. I haven’t seen your sketches in a long time but I hope you are getting out there, and hope that you are well. There wasn’t much contrast in this scene so the values are a little closer together than what I am used to painting.

6. Nathalie says:

Love your snow. Cold enough.

Very nice. I use a lot of dregs as well.

8. Jeff Gold says:

Wonderful composition with great control of values which creates a brilliant effect of light on the snow. I love your winter trees! This is a deceptively simple composition with much subtlety, particularly the diagonals in foreground and middleground which help to draw the viewer in. Beautiful!

9. Dee says:

Oh, that snow! You are a miracle maker!

10. Jane Wright says:

Lovely warm, winter scene.

11. Lenore says:

It is so lovely and fresh (the leftover grey for skies is lovely too). Thank yuou!

12. A lovely dance of warm and cool colors. and the warm sky ties it all together.

13. Janice Kelly says:

Your snow is fantastic! By the way, any news about summer workshops?