White house in snow on a cloudy day

Painting a white house in snow is a bit like that exercise they make you do in art class 101 where you put some eggs in a white bowl. It’s all about the subtleties of the whites and what surrounds the bowl. Since I couldn’t rely on shadows to provide any contrast, I tried to put lots of detail and texture in the white house and leave the snow fairly untouched. I find that even though I see lots of texture in the snow, if I try to paint it, it just looks odd. Better to make a few simple brush strokes and let it be.
Sketched in Ste. Anne de Bellevue, in a Travelogue Watercolour Journal, 8′ x 8″.

WhiteHouseinSnow

18 Comments on “White house in snow on a cloudy day”

1. mjkelly790 says:

Love it. The red shed or, the shed of red, Is particularly clever to draw the eye through the painting. I refuse to call your art a ‘sketch’ Having ceased & desisted bugging you about classes, am I in for Montreal or will you come to Ottawa? What’s up? 🎨

Sent from my iPhone

2. AM Welsh says:

love that little red shed!

3. karinakuschnir says:

Simple and beautiful!

4. Karen Kiddey says:

I like your treatment of snow shadows.

5. Marc Lépine says:

These winter colors… just hoping winter lasts for months…
    La couleur et les nuances de blanc!… Parfois j’aimerais que l’hiver dure des mois et des mois…

6. Yes it’s really those very subtle getsures that make it for the snow

7. Dee says:

Beautifully done! We may get our first dusting of snow tomorrow! I’d like to try painting it, if it actually gets white!

8. Alison says:

I like how the simple snow treatment contrasts beautifully with the tone/ textures in the adjacent foundation stone. Great reflections in the door. Lovely sketch!

9. Connie Renaud says:

Hi Shari, I love the white house on a cloudy day. Winter scenes are my favourite, however, I do have trouble making them look real. You did The Lakeshore House in Values last year and I am wondering if at some point you will be doing it in colour. I have attempted it but I would really like to see your version. Thanks.

10. Theresa says:

I love the simple beauty of it!