Winslow Homer lived here

Eastern Point Lighthouse is at the eastern entrance to Gloucester Harbour in Cape Ann, and it’s true — Winslow Homer did live here in 1880. I painted this from the Dog Bar Breakwater that extends 1/2 km into the harbour. At first I was tempted to set up my easel but ended up painting from a seated spot on the granite blocks with my board leaning against my knapsack. Not the most comfortable position for painting but certainly a safer one in the event of wind. One good gust would have sent the easel and painting flying into the water below, and my brushes into the cracks between the granite. Size: 15″ x 11″. Painted on Arches 140 lb CP.

Breakwater

22 Comments on “Winslow Homer lived here”

1. Nessa says:

You’ve really captured the spirit of place! I especially like your lighting. Funny that a Homer locale looks very Hopper-esque in your painting ( compliment intended). I do appreciate your skill in what I have dubbed “Golf Watercolor”- getting what you want said in as few strokes as possible. Truly lovely colors.

• It’s funny that you mention Hopper because his work came up in several ways while I was in Gloucester and New York City. Of course he painted all around Gloucester and I did take some photos of the house he painted that is pictured in the watercolour “Mansard Roof”. I also visited the new Whitney Museum in New York where I saw the sketch for “Nighthawks” as well as some life drawings in black and sanguine chalk. And of course as part of the Whitney permanent collection, we saw “Early Sunday Morning”, “Railroad Sunset” and “Seven AM” as well as one I had never seen before called “Bistro”. It has a very unusual and compelling composition. All that to say I think a bit of Hopper seeped in.
      And I love the Golf-Watercolour analogy. I’ll remember that one.

2. Dee says:

Beautiful, confident even in “iffy” circumstances. Winslow would be proud!

3. Monique says:

Love this !

Having just seen a couple of Maine lighthouses ..I can appreciate thsi even more.

4. Linda says:

Very nice, Shari! You picked an amazing spot to capture that view!

Beautiful… I love the interesting composition and the whites.
    Now you don’t really need to go to Peggy’s Cove… my recollection is that the lighthouse looks just like this.

6. Very nice and airy, with a slite hangover of the lighthouse, maybe Winslow’s fault?

7. Chris Rusk says:

Beautiful.

8. george smith says:

Winslow Homer predicted he would be remembered for his watercolors. That never quite happened, but those I’ve seen are beautiful. I’ve often wanted to comment that your work often
    reminds me of his. It’s the choice and use of color. He painted with a small tin of colors and just a few brushes and that makes me think that winslow, like shari, must have known something. Have a glorious day.

• While in Gloucester I came up a old copy of “Winslow Homer at Prout’s Neck” which I look forward to reading. And one of these days I will get to Prout’s Neck to see his house. As you can see, I am a fan too.

9. I can feel the breeze in my hair! Such a beautiful view from the breakwater. Have you seen that they have a Hopper Houses walking tour in Gloucester? That would be interesting!

• I know that there are so many Hopper houses in the area. But when I am there I am always too busy painting to do these types of tours. Next time it rains I will look into it but I never seem to have enough time to do everything I want to do.

10. Suzanne Tractenberg says:

Hi, Shari….is it too late to sign up for your landscape course on “craftsy”? Looks like a very good one. Thanks, Suzanne in San Diego

Sent from my iPad

11. Sheryl Thurston says:

Would you share your color choices for this lovely sketch?

12. angmacleod says:

Congratulations on your entry to Open Water! Wonderful achievement, this painting is full of life!