The Bridge on the River Kwai

Over the past few weeks in Southeast Asia, I’ve made the same mistake many times. I arrive at an iconic sketching spot (which has often been a temple) and I begin to sketch it immediately without even looking around the site. And because I usually sketch until the last minute, there’s never enough time to do a proper visit. Today I managed to do both. I drew from a floating restaurant below the bridge, and then, like many others, I crossed it on foot. Luckily I’m not afraid of heights because there’s a train that goes from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi on the Death Railway and I was on the bridge when it passed. There are small platforms you can step on to get out of the way, but they hang out over the river so don’t look down if you are the least bit acrophobia. I know this sounds like a guidebook, but it’s well worth the trip to see the views over the river and the hills of Burma in the distance.

BridgeRiverKwai

9 Comments on “The Bridge on the River Kwai ”

1. Valerie Cousins says:

Wow! You’re not only a great urban sketcher, but a world-wide adventurer too. I just wanted you to know that I was delighted when I purchased a copy of Leisure Painter, a British magazine that I get from time to time, and there you and your painting were in a three page spread by Tony Underhill entitled “Join the Crowd”. Bravo Shari! You continue to educate and inspire!

2. Beautiful sketch and I love reading about the location. Thanks for sharing and contnue enjoying your travels. Looking forward to your next post.

3. Peter Warby says:

Hi Shari, I admire your determination to sketch whatever the conditions including the crowded tourist sites. Your posted sketches are a joy to behold and an inspiration to strugglers such
    as I.

Enjoy the trip.

Peter

I’m loving the travelog.

5. Dee says:

One of your best!

6. cyd1057 says:

A harrowing tale & beautiful sketch!

7. george smith says:

Iconic bridge. Iconic film. I hope you realize your the best in the business now. Spent 12 months in the far east, and your sketches kindle many latent and long forgotten memories of an
    exotic land. Many mercii -s Shari B.

8. susancooke says:

Enjoying checking out your colours and techniques. Missed following your blog for the last while. I see such freshness and fluidity in your work. Inspirational for me!