On the Nakornchaisri River

When you travel with local people you see hidden gems you might not find on your own. I know for certain I would never have found the Nakornchaisri River, nor the cafe on its banks. At first glance I thought it was a floating restaurant until I realized that we were not moving. In front of us was a continuous parade of water hyacinth on the water, big tangles of it moving quickly by, which created the illusion of movement under my feet. Occasionally a heron could be seen going along for the ride and once a huge, and likely dead, monitor lizard was caught in the mess of  leaves and roots. The effect was a bit dizzying and a sight that will stay with me for a long time.

With every sketching spot in Thailand there is an accompanying meal, chosen with care by our host to maximize the number of different ingredients we try.  I have been trying to record some of the delights that arrive on the table but these sketches are in a tiny sketchbook and will be posted when I get home.

NakornchaisriRiver

8 Comments on “On the Nakornchaisri River”

1. Beautiful work Shari! What an adventure you are having!

2. cyd1057 says:

Beautiful sketch!

3. mirobolante says:

Do you have so much sensibility in the choice of the spots you paint ! Plenty of poetry. The water´s color is beautiful.

4. Monique says:

You can paint any scene anywhere! Magnifique!

5. This so beautiful Shari and your description of the spot makes it sound so magical! Can’t wait to see what treats you’ve capture in the little sketchbook once you’re safely home! 🙂

6. Louise says:

I know what you mean about running across the dark side of Mother Nature such as the lizard’s fate. We know those things happen, but seeing something like that would stay with me too even though reptiles are not my favorite creatures. We are observers, however. All experiences enrich and inform. Your sketches and descriptions are giving both to us.

7. Barbara Beynon says:

I think you have really captured the river’s current moving the water hyacinth past you. The water itself and the clouds are beautiful.

8. Dee says:

How do I say how traveling with you on this particular trip has enriched me! Although I follow many sketchers, each with their view point, I find your depictions, your view points are by far my favorites. Perhaps it is because your works result in more finished paintings rather than in sketchy, rapid work. Everything you do feels complete and unrushed!