River Kwai morning

I’m still finishing up some paintings I did in Thailand. This one was early morning, looking out on the River Kwai towards Myanmar. In the distance the mountains have forms that are so unlike anything I’ve ever seen — sharp and undulating and so densely green. Every once in a while a fisherman goes by and disturbs the still water, but in minutes it is dead calm again. A sight I’ll not likely forget any time soon. Arches paper, 15″ x 11″.

RiverKwai

48 Comments on “River Kwai morning”

1. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for this, Shari. Keep them coming!

2. Nathalie says:

Super beau! What a great memory you must have of that morning.

3. Louise says:

Wow! This is beautiful. Perfection!

4. Linda says:

Very nice, Shari. That water is mesmerizing. It draws my eyes back into the mountains. The whole scene reminds me of a postcard!

5. I love reading your words on all your paintings, makes me be right there with you, very cool TS which stands for Tenured Shari.

6. Janice Kelly says:

Delightful. Tranquil. Great greens – especially the background mountains.So
    appreciate your generosity in sharing your experiences.

7. Betty says:

The water, the shadows,the mountains, just perfect and so lovely to look at.

8. Lynn says:

Peaceful and calm as you described but at the same time your painting captures the alertness you felt so magically. Masterful work.

9. What constitutes finishing? I love hearing about process!!

• Good question! In this case it was mostly done. All I did was add some of the activity across the water (boat shapes and little structures on the shore) and add some detail in the near and far foliage. The rest was there already.

10. Theresa & Bob says:

You have captured the true essence of the land/water scape…we were in this beautiful country this past January & your paintings bring back such fond memories. Thanks for sharing!

11. Marlene Lee says:

beautiful…I could almost feel that I’m there.

12. Ruth Jaeger says:

Nice painting, and a big congratulations on tenure.

13. jorierichman says:

Your artwork is so beautiful and captures the tranquility of the river. I always look forward to seeing your lovely new paintings.

14. cyd1057 says:

This utterly takes my breath away. It’s ALL lovely, but the sense of humidity/atmosphere with the distant mountains is particularly amazing.

15. jorierichman says:

Tranquility and beautiful work.

16. Dee says:

This one is as technically perfect as anyone could wish. You have reached perfection in your art!

• Thanks for writing Dee. You’re very kind but I still have a lot to learn. Each day is a new experiment in painting and most are not successful. Occasionally one of them doesn’t end up in the garbage!

17. Terry Lindsay says:

I imagine you in a strange busy city staying at a hotel..if so,how do you find such a beautiful peaceful scene to paint early in the morning? I’m thinking street signs etc are all in a foreign language..who can direct you to this location and explain what you are looking at? The painting is superb!

• That is a good question Terry with an easy answer. We were staying at a hotel on the river and this is where we ate breakfast from the hotel grounds. Quite a spot and lucky me to stay there. We could see the famous bridge in one direction and this was the view in the opposite direction.

18. rebecca says:

That reflection is photographic. lovely composition too, just a beautiful painting all around

19. robynfrance says:

Lovely–the water has a feeling so wet I could touch it.

20. beckabug10 says:

It’s amazing how you can capture an image and tell a story with it. Very beautiful and calming!

21. beckabug10 says:

Very beautiful and calming!

22. wow, is this ever beautiful and peaceful! what a superb job you’ve done at getting across that feeling!

23. Jeff Gold says:

Shari. This is really wonderful. It’s a great composition, atmospheric, direct, just enough detail and, as always the control of values is amazing.

24. Alison says:

Gosh, I really can’t add anything to what has already been commented. What an incredible painting!