An old friend

For years I sketched exclusively with a good old Pilot Fineliner pen. In fact the first sketch I did on this blog was with that pen. I stopped using it when I started adding colour to my sketches because the ink is water-soluble and it dirtied up the colour, but recently I bought a few of them and today I found myself downtown without my palette so decided to use it. I remember why I liked it so much. It’s got a very pointy nib which makes it great for drawing (unlike my usual Micron pens which have a flatter nib) and when you lightly wet it, it’s just like having some Payne’s grey on your brush. It seemed just right for the grey stone of the Strathcona Music Building at McGill University.

Strathcona

16 Comments on “An old friend”

1. TR Duncan says:

glad you and your old friend reconnected…. a very charming personality for sure.

2. joantav says:

Love it! Sometimes the water-soluble pens just do the trick. I do agree that they tend to muddy up the color if you add it.

3. Chris Rusk says:

Really nice.

4. holmar58 says:

I really like this sketch!

5. Wow, what a great effect the water makes with the pen!

6. I never knew you could do this with a Pilot pen. I’m going to try this myself!

7. rebecca says:

It is a nice effect, works sometimes, other times you don’t want to muddy it up with bleeding.

8. Theresa Lee says:

Cant wait to give this a try , Ink and paint all in one pen , nice !