A winter palette

I’ve been experimenting with different colour palettes for this snowless winter we’ve been experiencing. Today I went out with three tubes of paint: Burnt Sienna, Indanthrene Blue and Raw Sienna. I love the combo of the first two and they make a luscious grey, but tomorrow I’ll swap out the Raw Sienna and replace it with Quinacridone Gold, in the hopes of achieving richer and deeper yellows in my washes.

DecemberField

20 Comments on “A winter palette”

1. Gayle says:

Love it! And thanks for sharing your choice of colors for this winter palette. I use acrylics and look forward to playing with this triad! All the best of the season to you and yours.

2. Monique says:

You’ve picked up today perfectly~
    Bitter wind ..
    That blue is gorgeous.

3. Leigh Youdale says:

Hi Shari, I find Quin Gold to be a bit overpowering if you’re not careful about the dilution and not much different to Raw Sienna if it’s a weak mix. I have had more promising results lately using Daniel Smith’s New Gamboge as a warm yellow.

• Thanks so much for your suggestion Leigh. Yes, Quin Gold can be overpowering but I do like it more than Raw Sienna when it’s diluted. I like New Gamboge too but at the moment it’s not in my palette.

4. Chas Spain says:

Really beautiful – I love the muted tones

5. Monique says:

Just wanted to say again how much I love the class..just did a street scene from Italy,2008.
    Used some Indanthrene Blue and Quin Gold.I love those 2 colors.

Looks like Australia except for the shape of the trees. Looking forward to the next version.

7. joantav says:

Perfect colors for this wintry scene! Lovely!!

8. wrightottawa says:

I really appreciate these technical insights Shari.

…I’m still using your primaries from the Barcelona Urban Sketchers symposium

jw

9. linda says:

Lovely sketch from a dreary day! Thanks for sharing your color palette. I’m working through your online class and still practicing with color choices, so this really helps! Cheers!

10. Eric says:

Hi Shari,

Do you have any recommendations for free reference photos for landscapes or cityscapes?