Driving south

I love painting the changing panorama on a long highway drive, which in today’s sketch is the road through central Vermont. The cloud cover was low when I started and by the time I was done, we were in complete fog. The view is different with every bend in the road, so I begin by drawing a few lines with a pencil. As I start to paint the shapes of the mountains shift, but the colours and the clouds are basically the same. A green patch here, some rusty pines over there. A basic structure and then a little bit of improv. The only constant: the road in front and the heavy clouds overhead.

21 Comments on “Driving south”

1. Christine Kunkel says:

Thanks, once again, for the inspiration. Shari. We just drove from Saskatoon to Calgary to Kelowna – gorgeous scenery all along the way – but I thought oh know I can’t get any of this down. Won’t happen again! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

• Thanks so much Christine. That is a beautiful drive that you did. I’ve done it a few time in the opposite direction. Vancouver to Calgary through the Okanagan. Spectacular. You have a happy new year too. Thanks for writing!

2. Gayle says:

(I think I loss my first comment…so this may be a duplicate!) Season’s greetings to you Shari and a humungous THANK YOU for all your news, views, sketches and tips. I so appreciate being a part of your blog family. Wishing you continued inspiration and creative fulfillment in the coming year!

3. sandidureice says:

Inspirational for capturing those basic shapes. Thankyou. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. From Sandi on a hot 25th in Melbourne, Aus

4. Shari, ich liebe deine schöne, berauschende Malerei. Chapeau.

5. Joe van Berkel says:

Yikes, I have always feared people texting and driving and now I have to add painting and driving? Just kidding! Thanks for all of your inspirational postings and I am enjoying your Craftys video lessons.

6. Joe van Berkel says:

Yikes, I have always feared people that may be texting and driving. Now I have to add painting and driving! Just kidding. Thank you for all of your wonderful inspirational posting and I am enjoying your Craftsy’s class.

7. Beautiful painting! Merry Christmas!!! 🎄

8. joantav says:

Lovely painting of a peaceful scene! I’m usually the one driving so I don’t paint from the car…but have painted from a train. Enjoy!

9. Yvonne says:

Your painting is lovely, Shari. I sketch the passing scenery on road trips (I call them drive-by drawings) but haven’t tried adding colour in the car. I love the improv aspect and capturing the essence of the landscape.

10. Wow, this is impressive Shari! I can practically feel the speed of the car as I look at the landscape as if I’m in the passenger seat too!

Beautiful lesson. Who does not love sketches from and on the road?