Kamouraska workshop day three: one heron and many hens

This morning we found the most perfect spot for the workshop: a little lighthouse with views on three sides out onto a spectacular salt marsh. Not only was the vantage point excellent, but there was a table and chairs for everyone to watch this morning’s demo on colour mixing. And just as I was pointing out the window at the colours of the marsh grasses, a great blue heron descended and landed in the marsh. There was a collective gasp.

20130605-224119.jpg

In the afternoon we moved over to the property of Micro-brasserie Breughel where we had a choice of subjects: a pond, rustic buildings, vistas of landscape and water, and even a henhouse. The day ended with an extensive critique of the day’s work and there was even a bit of time before sunset to get in one last sketch of the beach at low tide.

KamouraskaRocks

20130605-225754.jpg

20130605-225822.jpg

13 Comments on “Kamouraska workshop day three: one heron and many hens”

1. Valerie Cousins says:

Thinking of you all and wishing I was there. Lovely work. Say hi to Alison for me!

Sounds like a good end to the workshop. Love the series of sketches… that first super-quick/loose one is very appealing and the last painting of the lighthouse is almost photo-realistic…wow!

3. Chris Rusk says:

I love the ‘light’ and the sparkle of your paintings.

4. I love the first sketch so much! I think it’s great that there are these “blocks” of bare paper showing through and leading the eye through the painting.

5. cathy says:

I hope you know what a gift you give all of us by sending out the daily sketch. Inspirational.
    Thank you.

6. marctaro says:

Looks like you guys had a great workshop – those views of the sea wall really capture the place.

Wonderful work, as usual, Shari.

Wildlife? Come on down to North Central Florida. Herons? We got em! Bald Eagles? Sand Hill Cranes? Wood Storks? Alligators? We are teeming with wildlife. My current experience is trying to figure out how to keep the feral hogs from plowing my my yard.