August

“There was a time, usually late in August, when summer struck the trees with dazzling power and they were rich with leaves but then became, suddenly one day, strangely still, as if in expectation and at that moment aware.”

That beautiful sentence is from a James Salter novel I’m reading and it made me want to paint trees. I also tried out some new paper  — well, new for me — but hardly new at all because it comes from St Cuthberts Mill which has been making paper since the 1700s. I bought a block of Saunders Waterford HP, a paper I’ve been wanting to try for some time. It’s a little rougher than the Fabriano hot pressed block that I’ve been using lately, which means that my Micron pen doesn’t glide as easily over the surface. But what is lost in smoothness is gained in the way it takes the paint. This is gorgeous, creamy paper with a soft texture that seems to love layer upon layer of pigment. Glad I bought a block of it.

AugustWindmill

13 Comments on “August”

1. Juan Vilella says:

I’m not an art critic but this is spectacular…

2. Diane says:

I am currently painting your red door. But I love the windmill.
    Keep up the good work.

Diane

3. Wayne says:

This is beautiful Shari. Your rich colours, combined with the brush strokes, evoke the texture and depth of oils. Then, your selection of quotes reminds us how incredible the familiar really is.

• Thanks so much Wayne. You should try this paper out. I think you would really like it. And you’re right about the texture of oils. At one point when I was putting the paint on, that’s what it felt like. That said from someone who has never painted with oils in her life.

4. Linda Daily says:

Lovely quote and painting. What a beautiful scene,timeless.
    I have always liked SW cold press paper but never tried hot press.
    What wonderful results you achieved!

• Thanks Linda! I bought a full sheet of the cold press to try as well. I think I’m going to like that too. I found a double elephant size (26 x 40) so I can tear that up into some new formats. Glad to hear you like the cold press.

5. Diane Pearsall says:

Could you post your red door again please

6. Alison says:

Wow! The lighting is captivating. Stonework is beautifully painted. And the trees are terrific — looking very much like the description you quoted. Really a lovely painting!

7. Joon boody says:

I am enjoying everything you done n DO NOT EVER STOP KEEP GOING Thanks

8. jane says:

This is a wonderful painting Shari — deep and still… just like the poem. I love it!!!

9. jane says:

Ooohhh! Do you think that if I buy this paper, I would instantaneously become a better painter? LOL?