Yellow light

When I get to a sketching spot I am now in the habit of taking a quick reference shot with my phone. This because I have so often had a truck pull up and block my view. Today I was parked in the wrong direction in the Gigi’s pizzeria lot which forced me to draw and paint faster than usual, all the while expecting the cheese truck to pull up and give me the signal to move on.  There’s nothing worse that being jolted out of your happy sketching moment by an irate truck driver with a heavy hand on the horn. But as your brushes and paints fly all over the seat of the car, at least you can rest easy knowing that when you clean up the mess you can always refer to your phone photo to complete the details of the sketch.

YellowLight

29 Comments on “Yellow light”

1. Mrs. P says:

beautiful!

2. pegjuanita says:

Ohhhhh! What a stunning sketch! It’s got such great impact! Is it the colors? or those power lines? or is it how everything is set against that strange “yellow light.” You didn’t really comment on the light. When was it, what was going on?

• Thanks for asking about the strange light.
      I did this at eight in the morning with the sun coming up. Although the sky was turning blue the overwhelming sense was the dark steeple set against the rising sun so I chose yellow. It just wouldn’t have worked with the blue I was seeing.

3. p sanchez says:

I love your posts…so real life, and still you get charming sketches with the tangle of wires and all.

The Sketchbook wrote:

> a:hover { color: red; } a { text-decoration: none; color: #0088cc; } a.primaryactionlink:link, a.primaryactionlink:visited { background-color: #2585B2; color: #fff; } a.primaryactionlink:hover, a.primaryactionlink:active { background-color: #11729E !important; color: #fff !important; } /* @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) { .post { min-width: 700px !important; } } */ WordPress.com Shari Blaukopf posted: “When I get to a sketching spot I am now in the habit of taking a quick reference shot with my phone. This because I have so often had a truck pull up and block my view. Today I was parked in the wrong direction in the Gigi’s pizzeria lot which forced me t”

4. WOW Shari, that solid atmosphere in contrast with the lightness of the church…. this is fantastic!

5. croquedessin says:

Fantastic coulours and lights !

6. expresscard says:

Lovely ……….and Color Combination is to good.
    Awesome

7. Beautiful color composition! What time of day is it?

8. Alison says:

This is really beautiful. You have captured the particular feel of late September in the early evening. How magical!

9. Janet Dempsey says:

So beautiful. You managed to recreate that moment in time with a sketch done in your car. I am so amazed.

10. cathy says:

I love how you’ve left the white (or almost white in some cases) space. Seems to draw the eye up to the steeple and sky which, to me, are the important things. Thank you again Shari for sharing your work.

Wow. So very nice. I endorse everything said above. I don’t think I could add to it.

12. dezabaleta says:

Good watercolor !

13. The play of yellow versus violet is wonderfully balanced, and both colors come alive with the detail-accent white buildings. Wonderful painting as always!