Farm birds

Do you remember when the Peter Finch character in the movie “Network” yells out the window “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”? That summarizes how I feel about having a cast on my painting arm. So I grabbed up all my painting gear, piled it in the car and went out to do a sketch. It’s not as sharp and clean as I would have liked and there are some compositional things that could have been better but at least I got out there. There’s only so many still lifes an urban sketcher can do!

FarmBirds

24 Comments on “Farm birds”

1. Mary says:

Good ole’ Macdonald farm! i love the clarity and crispness in the foreground with
    bright bouncing white contrasting the soft purple shadows. The fluttering geese are delightful
    too. Good work Shari and hopefully that cast will be off very soon 🙂

• Macdonald farm is such a good old standby. I wanted to paint the barns that are partially burnt but I can’t get a good view in the winter. It would make a good story, especially the part where the students saved all the livestock.

2. I love seeing your work. Its always inspiring.

3. Verla says:

Wow! You are doing a great job! When I broke my wrist, I discovered how much we do that requires two hands, even just for steadying or holding on. I could make left turns when driving but was dangerous going right!

4. Valerie Cousins says:

Hi Shari, I’m so impressed with your sketch today. It so captures the time of year and the weather we are having. Such energy, despite the cast on your painting arm. I wanted you to know that, even though I don’t comment very often, I always look at your sketches and enjoy and appreciate all of what you share.:-)

• I’m always so happy to hear from you Valerie. I was waiting for a dusting of snow to cover up all the grayness. I am sure that in Ottawa you have been having the same weather. Cold, then a thaw and soon cold again. I hope you are surviving the winter well.

5. Debo Boddiford says:

Always love your trips to the farm! The lavenders and yellows compliment each other so well….and those birds are heavenly!
    My husband had shoulder surgery (dominant hand) on Dec. 30th and still has more weeks of wearing a sling…poor fellow. I had shoulder surgery after BCN, and remember the frustrations of a sling and being ‘handicapped’ all too well. I think you are handling that paintbrush very WELL under the circumstances!

6. Fleet Woodley says:

The way that sky is working with the cast shadows, the consistency of the light and the backlighting of the silos is phenomenally good. The flock of crows really brings it alive.

~ Fleetwood

7. Louise, Montréal says:

Shari,
    As a lefthanded who was obliged to learn how to write “correctly” with my right hand when I arrived at school, I simply want to tell you that you have all my support. It must be very hard for you presently indeed but, please, slow down Shari, take care of you left hand who works so hard presently to give you back your right one. BIG HUG .

8. Eoin says:

hello Shari, I just want to say that you have a great talent and great skill, whether you’re painting bottles of oil or grapes or whatever. (I’ve only come across your work recently) PS: very sorry to hear about your broken wrist

9. John Bartoldus says:

Shari,
    Wish I could take you to the pharmacy like you did that day to me in Montreal and make it all feel better. Sending healing hugs to you….Jacques

10. Peggy Haug says:

Stunning!! Such a great feeling and sense of wanting to be there to see this. Just don’t know how you do it, but SO glad you do!

11. You use such great colours – they get the wintery feel beautifully. You do have to tell us the story of the fire and the students saving the livestock now – you have whetted my appetite!

12. Nathalie says:

Great farm! Brought back memories of my studying at Mac, way back when. Bon corage with your casted arm.