Drawing conclusions

I set out some teacups today to practice one of my weaknesses — drawing circles in perspective — and I spent some time looking, sketching and correcting what I drew. In the end I think my circles are acceptable, which leads me to conclude that sometimes I just don’t spend enough TIME… looking, sketching and correcting when I am drawing circles in perspective. Doing this type of exercise is a bit like practicing scales for musicians. You just have to keep coming back to these basics.

Teacups

20 Comments on “Drawing conclusions”

1. 3bones says:

It most certainly doesn’t appear to be a weakness, Shari …if it is then it is a weakness that I would be proud of … Loved this …

2. Mary says:

Your delicate pretty ladies’ bone china teacups, along with their unique composition and
    perspective, harken back to another age Shari. I am imagining them in colour !
    They’re delightful 🙂

3. Angie Macleod says:

Oh yes, do them in colour! Pleaseeeeeee

4. Debo Boddiford says:

Beautifully drawn, delicate shapes! Hope you celebrated with a cup of tea afterwards.

5. Good to know I’m not the only one; I can sketch crazy-technical architecture, but ask me to sketch a coffee mug and I’m completely thrown off. Funny thing, sketching; sometimes it’s the seemingly simple things that usually end up being the most challenging.

6. Monique says:

Love teacups..and what beauties these area..

I agree… circles are an absolute bummer to draw… domes are even worse!!! The problem is that everyone seems to be able to spot it when they aren’t quite right… and the human eye is drawn to circular shapes, so if you don’t get it just right it hits you in the face. Now, having had my little rant, I think you nailed it (this time)!

8. Susan says:

One of my biggest weaknesses as well. Your cups look wonderful!

9. Pamela Whitney says:

Just got the calendar from Tenacre, how absolutely beautiful! My Mom was and artist and I always loved to watch her paint and sketch. After looking at the calendar I had to see more of your work. I love it! Your tea cups remind me of a friend who love to have tea parties and bring out her lovely tea cups and saucers. I will come back again to see what you have added. I am an artist too but my work is edible art better know as wedding and party cakes. Thanks for sharing your love of art.

• Thanks so much Pamela. I just received my calendars too and I am so pleased. The reproductions are excellent and go so well with the quotes.
      That was a wonderful project to work on.
      So glad you found me!

10. croquedessin says:

Is it really your weakness ? Your cups are well done.