Puddles

After yesterday’s muddy painting I tried to do something a little cleaner today. With the melting snow creating lakes on the streets in my neighbourhood, it felt like spring might actually arrive sometime soon. I worked a little differently today too. Usually I work from mid-tones to darks, painting around the light areas. Today I added the darks in first and worked backwards. I think it’s something that helped establish the values early on and is worth trying again. Painted on 300 lb Fabriano.

SpringPuddles

26 Comments on “Puddles”

1. Email says:

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Miz Dee says:

Looks so wet!

3. Chris Rusk says:

Fabulous!

4. CharlieAmra says:

You can actually see the snow melting into the street. This one is really cool.

5. Monique says:

We went for a walk en famille today..

looks identical to here..puddles..street .. incline..trees and all:)

6. george smith says:

All of SB’s work is inspirational and thrilling to see. Shari you capture the essence of the subject not just the visual meaning.

7. John Bartoldus says:

Where I grew up in Brooklyn, New York, they called anything that was really good CRAZY. This scene is crazy, kudos! I had the most successful art show ever today! Yippee! Jacques

8. Nonna Mynatt says:

Beautiful painting, one of the best!!!

9. Alfredo Gonzalez says:

Wonderful!!!!

That is stunning! My eye is just drawn to the end of the road, and that part of the painting is the bit I like best… almost black against white. Oh, and I really like those wet puddles too.
    How did you paint this… sitting on the road?

• Thanks Ross! I painted this one in studio. I saw the scene while I was walking the dog and I snapped a quick iPhone photo. It was much more comfortable than sitting in the middle of the wet road.

11. liz bundle says:

How large is the painting? Size helps to put things in perspective as in brush you used relative to space etc.

12. Beth says:

An especially nice one, Shari! Congrats – it really captures that clean, bright feeling of our landscape right now.

13. Wonderful capture; just the treatment on the watery puddles of snowmelt alone shows masterful technique.