Workshop demo

This line and wash sketch is the second of two demos I did in a flower painting workshop I gave today (the first one was wet-in-wet watercolour). Of the two demos, this was by far the faster one. Line drawing time: 10 or 15 minutes; painting time just a little bit more. The point of this demo was pretty simple. 1. Treat each clump of flowers as a mass instead of painting them individually. The same for the foliage. 2. Touch the paper as little as possible with the brush (in other words, get the intensity of colour right the first time). 3. Let some of the magic happen by allowing the colours to mix on the paper instead of overmixing on the palette.

ChrysanthemumDemo

28 Comments on “Workshop demo”

1. Mary says:

It was a great workshop and learning experience Shari 🙂 Since the individual stems, leaves and flowers were all described in line the application of colour in mass worked so well.
    Your principles of keeping colour fresh and alive were super exercises in watercolour too.
    Vibrant colour contrasts. You have so much to teach, thank you for a wonderful day!

2. Carol Koffler says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 02:39:40 +0000 To: ckoffler@sympatico.ca

3. Miz Dee says:

Wild and free the way a watercolor should be!

4. komarovstyle says:

its beautiful………..

5. Those are very useful tips – simple ideas that can be expanded are so much better than tight rules.

6. Ineke van den Berg says:

I am not a sketcher but I know a beautiful sketch when I see one. I absolutely love receiving your daily work. Thank you for brightening my day once again.

7. liz bundle says:

What pen do you use? Supposedly ‘permanent’ pens of mine ‘run’ and infuriate. I’ve looked often and wondered.

8. Carolyn Smith says:

I love the look, but always get confused with these watercolor sketches. Which comes first? Watercolor or sketch??

9. Mary Sanchez says:

Thanks for the tips. Lovely painting.

10. John Bartoldus says:

I re-read your instructions twice and totally got it, especially about treating the flowers as a mass versus painting them individually. I think this will serve me well to avoid too much detailing. Bravo professor! Jacques

11. marctaro says:

Brilliant summary! I bet you made it look easy 🙂

12. mckitt123 says:

The astoundingly beautiful simplicity of your work always leaves me in awe…..

And… 4. Astound everyone in the workshop by producing this in about 30 mins???? : )

14. Excellent !

Mark de Zabaleta

15. Liz says:

Your sketches and watercolor tips are very inspiring. Thanks so much for posting. Makes me want to draw and paint every day.