Lake meets land

This was a weird experiment to see if I could make a painting from two types of solid forms whose natures are so inherently different — hunks of crystal ice blocks and massive rocks. Transparent versus opaque. Dark versus light. Cool versus warm. I painted this on location, in full sun, which is not ideal but since this phenomena may not occur again any time soon I had to get out there and attack it. Painted on Arches Rough 140 lb paper, 11″ x 15″.
LakeMeeetsLand

17 Comments on “Lake meets land”

1. Elaine Archambault says:

Love it, abstract yet very recognizable , bravo

2. Debra Ganong says:

Shari, you have captured this crazy phenomenon perfectly!

This is not a color combination many would think could be beautiful, but you have done it.

• Well thanks Lee. It felt a bit like I was on an Alaskan cruise, looking at the falling glaciers. Every once and a while I would hear a cracking sound too, just like in Alaska, but on a micro scale.

4. Jeff Gold says:

Beautiful, Shari. Elaine hit it on the head. The abstract quality provides a feast for the eyes to explore. The combination of diagonals and the rich layering of color give it a mesmerizing completeness. Very satisfying.

• Thanks so much Jeff. This was such an enjoyable painting experience. I was really unsure of how it would turn out but somehow it didn’t matter. The process was wonderful.

5. Ruth Altheim says:

I always love seeing your work and this one, in particular, is wonderful. I just watched a 2 min video by the Met Museum in NY about Homer’s painting “Northeaster”, rocks in foreground, water behind them in another color palette. Thought you might enjoy this.
    link one to the picture http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northeaster_by_Winslow_Homer_1895.jpg
    link two to the Met series
    Thanks for your wonderful posts!
    Ruth Altheim

6. Nathalie says:

Really cool and very beautiful.

7. Jane Hannah says:

Hi Shari — I can see a cross-crountry skier on the top left hand rock, going his merry way — very nice –) The skier AND the painting -)))

8. Mary Sanchez says: