Saturday in the park

We are so fortunate in Montreal to have a mountain (some say it’s a hill, but to me it’s a mountain) in the center of our city. Especially fortunate to have a park on the mountain that was landscaped by Frederick Law Olmstead. Maybe it’s because we wait so long for these perfect days, but we Montrealers REALLY use our park. On weekends you’ll see multi-generational families laying out huge spreads on picnic tables, people walking and people jogging, crowding the wide paths that eventually lead to the lookout at the top, teenagers in short shorts taking in the sun and even the occasional man selling ice cream. The park is used in all seasons, really, but it is only in the summer that you get the sense that it is a real celebration.

Marc Taro Holmes and I have been painting in the park quite a bit these days because we’re organizing a joint event next year with USk Montreal and Les Amis de la Montagne. In preparation for that we’ll be sketching the park in all seasons, starting with the spring. More info will be coming about that as we finalize the event details.

SaturdayinthePark

17 Comments on “Saturday in the park”

1. liz bundle says:

Fantabulous – REEELY nice with tree shadows curving down bank and impression of people/crowds in bright light…am trying to work out your position, seems to me you’re just up from Smith House looking up to main pathway.

Woweee! This has so much to keep me looking and looking …(and studying and studying) You may not know this, but you are my watercolor teacher and probably that of many others. I would pay anything to take a class from La Sherie!

Oooops! I would probably get a better grade if I learned to spell your name correctly, La Shari!

4. Miz Dee says:

I just drool every day with your touch once technique and your all around skills. Could you stop by Arkansas on your way to Florida?

5. rosjenke says:

Stunning! Perfect values. I love the way you paint – just wish I lived closer to paint with you too.

6. andre savard says:

Stunnning shadows and light. Green is one of the hardest color to manage for me.
    Very well done and the focus points right at the beautifull sunny light on the green folliage.
    I love it.

7. TR Duncan says:

exquisite!

8. CharlieAmra says:

This one is kinda magical, I really dig it. I love the broad sweeping shadows and the people walking the path. Thanks for sharing this one.

And I took your advice and bought an en plien air watercolor easel. It has been real fun to use thus far.

9. Wonderful work as always! I also follow your work and wish for a class with you.
    Maybe it is time to use the internet to be one of the first to give a live watercolor
    workshop over the internet… don’t know why nobody has tired it yet!

It looks like you do not use a drawing in your paintings. How do you do it?
    Can you give me some pointers on how to start doing it? If I try all my objects,
    specially buildings come out crooked…. 😦