The kindness of neighbours

I must have looked a bit suspicious standing on the side of the street scribbling in a notebook. So suspicious that the owner of the house approached to find out if I was some sort of town inspector fining her for leaving these bowls by the curb. But the story is that after walking by this arrangement for many days I just had to carry my sketchbook on a dog walk and stop to record it. Last year I noticed the bowl of water for thirsty dogs and this spring there’s a new addition of a bowl of cookies. Let me correct that — a fine selection of cookies. Along with a bit of advertising, I guess due to recent scares of tainted dog treats. These bowls go in at night and come back out in the morning with fresh water and a new choice of treats. This may be a common sight in your neighbourhood but not in mine!

DogTreat

16 Comments on “The kindness of neighbours”

1. Vicky Porter says:

We have something in our neighborhood like this, except the treats are hanging from the tree, with a sign that says, “From the cats.”
    This is such a fun sketch!

2. Mrs. P says:

How awesome!

3. karla salyer says:

How nice!

4. Tom Jump says:

Hi Shari, We have a few residents that leave out water bowls but mostly it happens along the old commercial block where a bakery, coffee shop, pizza joint and maybe a few stores have a bowl or two by the sidewalk. Several places also have free dog treats but they are inside by the cashier. Around here if you left the treats out in a bowl the squirrels would probably get them or some big dog would woof them all down!

Thanks for your efforts- I look at and enjoy your lovely work everyday even if I don’t comment!
    -Tom

• Well thanks for commenting this time Tom. I suppose that in urban neighbourhoods in Montreal we would see this sort of thing but I live in the suburbs, which is why this is so rare. Of course my big dog would like to woof these all down and it does take some restraining while I pick one for her. As for the squirrels, we have plently but I’ve never seen them dipping into the bowl. Make me wonder though…

5. Monique says:

How sweet!

Love your take on it!

6. andre savard says:

What a lovely sight. We still have decent people around. This is whats its all about.
    After seing the K9 dog in Moncton yesterday I could not but appreciate your quotation
    and as an artist to paint this very human sbject.
    the drawinsg his fine but the artist’s touch is excellent.

7. KnitNell says:

Lovely sketch and story.

8. Pat brookes says:

What a considerate neighbor!