The right shade

I frequently change the colours around in my palette because I love trying different pigments. I’ll admit that I’m a sucker for new paints and I often have to hold myself back from buying too much at the art supply store, but in Costa Rica the one colour that I’m glad I had in my bag was Cobalt Teal. I used lots of it when painting waves, and when I came upon this house hidden in the trees, I used it for that as well. I suppose I could have mixed something similar from colours I already had, but there is a certain beauty in being able to dip the tip of your brush into just the right shade.

BlueHouse

20 Comments on “The right shade”

1. One of my favorites colors!

2. Chris Rusk says:

Very rich colour. Nice depth of field. I wish I was there.

3. Missy Walsh-Smith says:

OOOhhh…I love that teal especially against the burnt sienna. Beautiful!

4. Richard says:

La lumière de vos arbres ressort particulièrement bien contre les verts, bleus et rouille. Magnifique!

The sketch and the colours are good but it was the subject that grabbed my attention… I want to live there. This is my dream-home… a little, not-luxurious abode next to the ocean.

• I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Costa Rica, but it is a pretty heavenly spot. A guy giving surf lessons on the beach tried to tell me what this was, but my Spanish is not excellent. I think it might be a restaurant or part of a hotel.

6. Telva Chase says:

I hadn’t peeked at your paintings since mid-December but had to come back to get caught up. I love your “what looks easy” way of capturing your surroundings in watercolor. I’ve only been painting about 15 months and you inspire me so much. Your colors, sketches and soft touch is what I want to achieve in my own travel paintings. I’m making progress! Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing here. It means a lot to be able to come back and re-look at similar pics and see what I can adjust in my own paintings. Happy 2015!

7. Alison says:

What caught my eye, apart from the pure teal, was the shadows and sand in the foreground. Full of spontaneity, yet so keenly observed.

8. Bonnie Hasan says:

Thanks for the encouragement to sometimes use colours ‘right out of the tube’. Often a big no no. I think you used one of the greens recently. It’s very helpful and liberating when you show us how to break the rules. Needless to say, I look forward to your frequest posts, and my heart skips a beat when I see one there waiting to be opening.

9. Charles says:

Shari, Je viens justement d’acheter cette couleur (Daniel Smith). Quelle marque as-tu utilisée? C’est une couleur parfaite pour les piscines de Californie (j’en arrive!). Bonne année et au plaisir de te revoir,

10. Isszzy says:

I ordered the cobalt teal, too. How could I ever manage without this colour?!