Sixth Avenue in snow

Lachine is always one of my favourite places to paint, especially in winter. The older part of town has a particularly bleak look that I love on a snowy day. Unfortunately I got so caught in painting that I left my wipers on too long. My car was dead by the time I was done. I’m still thawing out…

SnowWalker

20 Comments on “Sixth Avenue in snow”

1. Monique says:

You make everywhere..special.

2. I always love your spacing on telephone poles and lines. NOBODY does it better! John

3. Jeff Gold says:

Sorry the car died, it must have been frustrating. I love the subtle color in this one. Even though it’s basically cool, there are beautiful hints of warmer colors…maybe a subdued leftover from the Costa Rica pallet?

• You have a good eye Jeff. I was using my Costa Rica palette. The one difference with my other palette is that there are no earth tones on this one, except for Burnt Sienna. No Raw Sienna or Ochre. And I use a lot of Pyroll Orange which is quite nice.

4. Suzy says:

well I am glad you didn’t have it happen tonight – when it is going down to -25. Winter stinks but you make it look amazing

• I used to hate winter before I started sketching. Somehow it seems more manageable now that I capture it on paper.
      I don’t think I will paint in my car today Suzy. Way too cold although I have done it before.

5. Alison says:

Absolutely stunning! I love that drop of blue in the middle, it draws you in even more. Your coloring truly captures the current climate and slushiness in the city.

6. Dee says:

Laughing out loud! My kids have had to come and pick me up from a dead car too many times to count!

7. Love the color scheme on this. So moody. Bummer about the car, though!

• Yes, but the driver who came to give my car a boost was really nice. Turns out he draws as well. So we had a nice conversation about art and then he gave me his music recommendations too.

8. anne farmer says:

Looks really cold – we haven’t seen a flake this year. Going North next week though.

• It was actually not that cold, which is a good thing when you are stranded in the car. Today it is much colder (-22°C when I woke up this morning) so I’m glad it didn’t happen today.

9. andre savard says:

Welcome back. You did a excellent job in rendering the atmosphère of 6 th ave.
    Love your sky.