House in shade

You don’t always have to go far to find something to sketch. Sometimes it can be in your town, on your street, around the corner. This is the view in my neighbourhood this morning. I had one goal in this exercise. I wanted to get the colour and the values of the shadow areas of the snow. Instead of the usual Cobalt Blue I use for the shadows, I tried a mix of Cerulean, Verditer and Indanthrene blues and a touch of Permanent Alizarin Crimson.

HouseinShade

25 Comments on “House in shade”

1. Gabriella says:

Nice job! The play between light and shadow is well-rendered. Do you like the mixture of blues better than the Cobalt Blue?

2. Joan says:

I have always loved the colors of snow in shadow even tho’ I detest living with snow. I’ve seen those colors in the snow when I lived in Michigan. Lovely work, as usual.

3. Mary says:

Such a comforting peacefulness in your neighbourhood Shari. Your new mixed blue shadows
    make a dramatic contrast to the rising sun. I love those blue shadows also on the snow at dusk when the sun has just sunk 🙂

4. Dee says:

So glad to know what you are subbing for cobalt, since I am allergic to it! It worked beautifully here. Now, all I need is snow so I can try it out!

5. Wow, Shari, this is great. You really got the contrast between the sunlit and the shadowed parts of the snow, and the angles of the sunlight.

6. Reblogged this on chaque jour 1dessin and commented:
    Superbe!!

7. Monique says:

Do you sit in a frigid car?
    Hats off.
    I had to get up my gumption to go to the library sale yesterday..
    Great shadows!

8. andre savard says:

Very intense shadows and light stream.
    Sometime i found tha alizarin does the job.
    Good work.
    Nice January morning.

9. Marc Lépine says:

Lumière extraordinaire!!!
    Le bleu de la neige est superbe !
    Bravo!

Looks great… now that you have discovered “dark” I think you may become addicted, which is OK with me. Even the car looks “reasonable”… although, that would depend on what type of car you were trying to draw. : )

• I think I am a bit addicted to these darks so you will probably see more of them.
      So should I take “reasonable” as a compliment?
      That car was a Volkswagon Beetle. Or was it an Austin Mini? I can’t remember.

• Ross says:

This is an addiction worth succumbing to. Go for it!
        “Reasonable” was definitely intended as a compliment… particularly when it is compared to my previous comments on your cars. However, if you are right and the car was either a VW Beetle or a Mini, that would mean that you just luckily produced something that looked like a more typical car… I may have to withdraw my “reasonable”. Keep working at it… you can only get better.

11. Nathalie says:

Wow, really nice and quite wintery 🙂

12. Chris Rusk says:

Beautiful success

Words cannot express how much I learn about shadows from you,Shari. Thank you so much!