Planting weekend

The long weekend in May is traditionally planting weekend for gardeners, I guess because the chance of frost is finally over. I did some of that, but I also took a break to sketch one of the pots on my deck. This was started this in a Moleskine sketchbook (the new one with the bad paper) but I quickly realized that the book needs to be trashed. I keep trying to paint in it but the paper is really too poor. For the second try I used a Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook.

There was also a bit of time this weekend to finally watch “Mr. Turner”, a movie I missed in theatres when it came out in December and have been waiting for ever since. If you like director Mike Leigh, or enjoy watching movies about artists, don’t miss the great, grunting, snorting Timothy Spall playing the painter J. M. W. Turner in the last 25 years of his life.

PlantingWeekend

7 Comments on “Planting weekend”

1. christine says:

Oh dear! I just bought two new moleskines because I was so unhappy with my current sketchbook. These have the pink paper label. I also have a large moleskine with a purple paper label. Do you know Shari, is one old and one new or is there no difference? I guess the best thing is to try them out.

See you soon! christine

2. Dominique Gaillard says:

Beautiful painting as always, I love this composition, how you grouped and succinctly sugested the green foliage versus the flowers. A great example for all of us trying to immortalize this long awaited spring.
    I’m curious about the “bad new moleskine”. At the moment Deserres is getting rid of Moleskines and I’ve taken advantage of the sale to stock on sketchbooks. Where do you get the newer ones and what is different, so bad ? btw there are still some older ones in some Deserres stores.
    best, Dominique

3. sandidureice says:

The shadow is on a slant and very loose, giving movement to the picture. I’m a great fan of ‘movement’ when I look at art. I did a few drawing lessons a long time ago and the shading was fairly vertical and I haven’t taken my thinking away from that. I’m going to be studying more about the angle of shadows from now on.

And I look at the confusion of plant material and wonder how it is painted. It’s lovely. I have finally realised the importance of getting in the overall shapes first…this is defined here by the pencil, I think. At the other end of the painting process here, I suppose it is the negative shapes that define some of the leaves, especially in the middle area. I think I finally now understand the reason for the exercises, as described in books, for defining just the negative shapes of an object or scene. Thankyou for another great lesson.

Pencil and watercolour is my favourite combination. And I awoke to another beautiful picture…in Australia. One advantage of the time difference. Sandi

4. Lyn Seley says:

I never have the courage to add those negative shape darks. Yours are so well thought out. What is the secret? I am so looking forward to the workshop in the end of June!

5. This is lovely Shari. I particularly love the shadows on the terracotta pot.
    I will keep my eye out for that movie on DVD – sounds good!

6. Nell says:

So beautiful!!

7. Linda says:

Just gorgeous, Shari! I too, love the shadows on the pot. I really like the loose style of your flowers. You really make it look easy, but I know it would take a lot of practice to achieve that!