Sketching with my students

This year at the college where I teach we’re trying something for the first time. Pedagogical Activities for Student Success Day is all about doing things with students outside of a classroom setting. There are no classes for the day and each department gets to choose an activity for students. In our department students presented their video game designs in the morning and in the afternoon we visited the McCord Museum to see the exhibit of graphic designer Vittorio Fiorucci “Montreal Through the Eyes of Vittorio“. Following that we had a sketch outing. Since the museum is right across from the campus of McGill University, and since the day was nothing short of perfect for late October, we spent an hour or so sketching from the stairs of the Redpath Museum. Something to note is that these were all optional activities, so I’m impressed that we had such a great turnout. I think about 30% of our students participated, which is pretty miraculous considering that they could have stayed home, slept in or watched movies. I took a photo of some of them sketching from the Redpath and they kindly gave me permission to post it on my blog. And a big thanks to Hugo who lent me a yellow pencil so I could complete my sketch.

FromRedpath FromRedpathIMG_1340

12 Comments on “Sketching with my students”

1. Beverley Rankin says:

Very cool, Shari!

2. Tony says:

Nice photo. Lucky students. Great sketch. And autumn trees as ordered!

3. Louise says:

Bet you get requests to do this kind of thing more often; it brings education to life.

4. Monique says:

They must LOVE you!
    What a sketch..hate to think how mine would turn out..

5. marctaro says:

Do they call you Mz B? Great story! I wish I’d had someone show me outdoor sketching in school – it might have changed my life 🙂 I didn’t go outside for 40 years until someone showed me I could paint out there.

6. Carolyn says:

They are so lucky to have a teacher like you. I am jealous!

7. joantav says:

Super sketch!!! Great that so many of the students sketched too.

8. How wonderful to get such a great turnout!