Black and white canopy

The last time I painted on rue Henri Julien was in the fall when the trees formed a yellow canopy over the street. This morning we had a sprinkling of fresh snow and I was hoping that I could paint there again but the weather was not on my side. By the time I parked the thermometer had moved up, and the snow turned to rain so I drew instead. I’m not sorry I drew this in pen though, because I think the dismal day and the soggy snow may come across better in black and white than in colour. Sketched in a Handbook Watercolor Journal, 9″ x 12″.

HenriJulienTrash-Day.jpg

36 Comments on “Black and white canopy”

1. Dee says:

Ah, yes, I well remember the yellow canopy. This is wonderful! How appropriate the black and white drawing is! The reflection of the cars in the wet street just seal the impression !

2. lorne993 says:

Nice!

Tom Livingston

3. Wow, what an amazing sketch! Very powerful!

4. Gail Larson says:

Shari, I look at just about Every sketch and painting you post. And I have learned a lot from them. I was wondering how long you take on one like today’s.

• HI Gail. I’m glad the sketches are a good learning tool for you. They are for me too! This one took about an hour, in my car, on a day when it was mild enough to be in the car for that long.

5. Terry Lindsay says:

speaks to me ! I like it better than the fall canopy.

6. Toni Pratley says:

Love your style & compositions – you always make it look so easy

7. Jodi says:

Stunning and dramatic!

8. anne farmer says:

Great drawing – I think the predominately vertical shading on the tree trunks creates a wonderful texture.

9. Tom Jump says:

Love this sketch, Shari and the watercolor of this street is one of my fav’s. Hope your 2016 is off to a good start!

10. I love the vertical lines on the car bumper. Only you could put an automobile in this beautiful setting and make it totally work. I’m putting pen and ink drawings in the 2017 calendar because people love them as I love this image. Stay warm mon ami, Jacques

11. Bill Harvey says:

Love it. Your posts are always inspiring. Look forward to meeting you in Galway!

12. Mary McLaughlin says:

amazing sketch! I especially admire how you did the reflections in the puddle behind the car on the left – so simple, so effective, so skillful to pull it off. Your line work is masterful.

13. Sheila Warhaft says:

This is very good.

14. joantav says:

I think leaving in in ink gives it a special feel. You do such great hatching!

15. Bruce Lowe says:

Nice sketch. Sometimes pen and ink are perfect to capture the mood. What pen(s) did you use?

Cool. I love the “arching” branches across the road.
    Good decision with the cars… cover them with snow. 🙂