Rue Guizot E.

For those of you who have been following my missing luggage saga, no news today. I figured that since my regular art supplies are still at large, I would take the opportunity to use some different tools for my daily sketches. I’ve been having fun experimenting with a brush pen, but as you can see, I don’t always let it dry for long enough before adding colour. In today’s sketch I skipped the preliminary pencil lines which set up the perspective and dove straight in with the brush pen. That means that I end up with some areas that need correction, but I like the spontaneity of the strokes, both thick and thin, as well as the quick darks that I am able to create.

RueGuizot

27 Comments on “Rue Guizot E.”

1. I really like this sketch. Light and breezy. I sure hope your supplies arrives soon!

2. Irene Miller says:

Hi Shari,
    This is beautiful . Maybe your loss at the airport was a blessing in disguise. Hope you recover your luggage soon.
    best Regards,
    Irene Miller

3. Dee says:

Nice work! But I do hope you get your luggage back..hope you put a huge price of value on those sketchbooks!

4. Dee says:

Second try..guess I sent my message to space! Like your experiments, but do pray that you insured your baggage somehow. To me your sketches are treasures!

5. Wow…love the brush strokes! A beautiful piece! 😍And still sending you wishes that your supplies will return to you!!

6. Mary Catharine says:

Another incredible work Shari! I sure hope that your luggage will soon be home with you, how very stressful.

7. Judy Sopher says:

Losing luggage is another reason not to fly. When we lived in ND and a flood was on its way, one of my old-from the past old-art teachers called and told me to get my art work up to a safe place. Ignore all else as you cannot replace art work. Airlines don’t think that way, unfortunately. Hope this ends soon and all is returned.

• I think about flooding all the time Judy. Many of my sketches are stored in a filing cabinet in my basement studio, but most of them are in the top drawers. It would have to be a pretty big flood to reach them. Still no news about the bag!

8. Chris Rusk says:

Sorry to hear luggage has not surfaced. Recently in the news, art supplies were identified as a current means for transporting illegal substances. Makes me wonder if your baggage is back-logged in customs security rather than Delta’s baggage services. Hope everything gets back to you soon. I can’t wait to see your work from abroad.
    Cheers, Chris

• Hi Chris, That is not the issue with the bag. I know exactly where it went wrong. It was in Savannah. The girl at the luggage drop-off put the wrong tag on it. She knew she did it because she got all confused and realized her mistake. But then for some reason she said it would be fine and I believed her. Clearly it was not fine.
      My bag definitely did not make it anywhere near customs!
      Thanks for writing!

9. rosjenke says:

Just goes to show you don’t need many tools to make great art.

10. I love the loose spontaneity you captured here, very nice!

11. lynnbowes says:

Exactly which areas need correction?!?

• At first I drew the person too big. You can see the outline of second head above the first. Also, to the left of the green awning there is an outline of another awning. After I drew it I realized the shapes would be confusing so I painted the brick colour right over it. Little things that I see, mostly.

12. Judy Sopher says:

Forgot to add that your painting is great. I agree with lynnbowes–what corrections?

• Thanks Judy. I will give you the same answer as I gave Lynn: At first I drew the person too big. You can see the outline of second head above the first. Also, to the left of the green awning there is an outline of another awning. After I drew it I realized the shapes would be confusing so I painted the brick colour right over it. Little things that I see, mostly.

13. wendymuldon says:

Experimentation, even when is forced, always shows an unknown side of you. Love this

14. Jody says:

Hi Shari, please give details about your brush pen. I’ve been wanting to get one that would take ink refills or my ink. Your works are always a treat to see. Hope your bag gets back to you.

15. Janine says:

I am still hopeful for your bag’s (and the artwork and supplies within) safe and timely return. Okay, maybe it’s past the time of timely, but safe is still a possibility. If only it could talk when it does make it back to you. It’d be fascinating to know where it’s been all this time! Meanwhile, Delta customer service needs to get a letter, if you haven’t already sent one, describing exactly what happened in detail, including the counter agent putting the wrong tag on your bag, telling you so, then not fixing it and telling you it would be okay. Of course, they’ll probably offer you some free tickets to try to compensate you, but somehow I feel like a free flight on Delta isn’t exactly what you’re looking for! Keep the faith, Shari. We are all channeling our energy to that suitcase and getting it home to you asap!