From Kenmare

This might be a heat wave, by Irish standards. Bright blue skies, tops of mountains visible, and shorts and t-shirts pulled from the depths of my suitcase for the first time since I’ve been here. From my spot in Kenmare on the Ring of Kerry, I can look across the Kenmare River and see the hills of the Beara Peninsula. It’s a joy to finally be painting some pure Irish landscape. The hills across the river are nothing like the tree-covered hills I’m used to in North America. The view is much softer with visible layers of rock and grass. It’s a challenge to think about how to deal with it in paint, but I’m always up for a challenge.

23 Comments on “From Kenmare”

1. TonyU says:

Beautiful. So glad you got to see Ireland at its best.

2. Wow– Love the color! So rich and beautiful. Thanks for sharing from afar. Enjoy your travels!

3. Soni says:

No one better to do the variety within these greens. And the sweeping depth of field brings me there. Wonderful narration of all these Irish locations !

4. Carol says:

It looks lush, green, and beautiful! Glad you got to see it in all its glory 🙂

5. Kate Steel says:

Really lovely Shari. Just as I remember it.

6. M. L. Kappa says:

I love this, Shari. The glimpse of blue water.

7. linder322 says:

I just love the whites sparkling through….looks like possibly rough WC paper?
    It gives it so much life. Thanks for sharing while you are traveling.

8. Tony says:

Forgot to say first time …. think I detect a bit of Lopez Island / Tom Hoffman influence in this one? Or maybe it’s just a similarity in subject matter? Hope the weather’s still good for you.

9. jasminebrien says:

Beautiful. I wonder about the technique you use to obtain sparkling white spots throughout. Rough paper or wax or something else?

• Hi Jasmine,
      That’s Saunders Waterford paper which is quite smooth. I was using a squirrel mop brush which can slide over the top of the paper and leave some white spots, if you don’t overload it too much with wash. It’s great for getting glints on water.

10. Isn’t that a wonderful spot? Nice variation in the greens…a must in Ireland. Enjoy!