End of day marina

I apologize in advance to my friends in Montreal (and in much of the Northeast!) for this post. I know you are going through a deep freeze right now. If you don’t want to look at the palm trees or hear about the dolphin swimming not three feet away from me as I sketched, I will understand. Trash this email and forget I ever sent it.

On the other hand, if you want a tip for quick sketching while the sun is going down, use a brush pen. This sketch was done with a Pitt brush pen. It’s waterproof and very responsive to pressure, allowing you to create fine or thick lines, as well as cover a lot of ground on the page. Colour was added quickly as the sun was going down and light was changing fast.

27 Comments on “End of day marina”

1. Chris Rusk says:

Very lush. Makes me warm up just by looking at the deep, gorgeous colour. Enjoy your holiday, the biting cold, up here, will not be going away anytime soon.

2. Soni says:

Holy cow – you’re capturing that FL light perfectly – (that is my home state) and pleeze pleeze promise some quick fuller photos of these upon your snowbound return

These are terrific little gems, Shari, & you’re right, best in company of dolphins 🐬!! We now expect paintings of them too

• Hi Soni, The scans are now on my website so you can see corrected colours and all the details. No sketches of dolphins though. I couldn’t even get a proper photo. They pop in and out of the water so quickly.

3. Angie Bumgarner says:

Gorgeous! Could you tell me what colors you mixed for the beautiful variations in the blue-grey water? So pretty!

4. joantav says:

It may be cold up here, but your painting is warming me up. Brush pens do cover a lot of ground quickly…especially in your hands. I’ll be waiting for the dolphins too.

5. Paula says:

Love it 😍 love it

6. Alison says:

I was just thinking today that you picked a good time to be away. Send some warm thoughts my way tomorrow when I’ll be out snowshoeing. I love the white spaces in this sketch. And the gestural line. And the lively colour. Yup, it’s warming my up!

7. Helen Phillips says:

Loving your Sanibel trip!

8. -N- says:

Ironically, I look forward to your snow paintings! It 84 F where I live . . .

9. Lisa Daniels says:

Hi Shari-

Glad you are out of the cold weather!– Can you tell me the brand of your pit brush-I tried do look for it but no luck
    Lisa

10. Monique says:

I am going to go google pit too..as if..;)Your book is going to be a treasure Shari.

have fun..i’s grey today ..mais encore glacial.

11. Connie Renaud says:

I love your sketch. I will definitely not scrap your sketches – on the contrary I will study them and enjoy them to the fullest. Shari, thank you so much for the hints on what to bring on a sketching adventure. I will be in Florida this winter and I plan on doing some sketching. Every little hint on how to prepare is very much appreciated. You are the greatest inspiration! Thank you so much. Happy New Year and have fun!

12. TonyU says:

Like you I love my brush pen for quick ‘gestural’ sketches … and I love this sketch too. Perfect in every way and a joy to look at.

• Tony, drawing with the brush pen made me think of you, so it’s funny to read your comment. I agree, it’s the perfect tool for gestural sketches, both of people and of urban scenes.

13. Judy Sopher says:

Love your painting. The blue of the rooftops keeps drawing me in. Ultramarine and what??

When I use a brush pen , I must press too hard cuz the lines are not too delicate. Must practice more. But I am using the dagger now and it is fun.

Did someone above (Monique) mention a book or was that a subtle suggestion?

14. What a gorgeous sketch.