North and East

My friend Lee was pretty sure I would find a new vantage point from which to sketch the REM light rail construction, and he was right. I just couldn’t resist the giant segments hanging in the sky. I drove under them yesterday, and was sure this section would get finished overnight, but I guess there’s no work happening on a Sunday. To draw this, I parked facing north at a Walmart lot and set up on a little piece of grass between an exit ramp and on-ramp to the highway. You do what you gotta do to get the sketch, I guess. It started to rain just as I was about to add colour, so that part was done from the car.

When I was done the REM sketch, I turned the car around and couldn’t resist sketching the view facing east. Dramatic sky, orange cones, power lines and an industrial lot, all in one place. I’ve driven by this entrance to a construction company hundreds of times over the years, but had never seen it from this angle. The light sky between the buildings made for a dramatic sight.

11 Comments on “North and East”

1. DiniAlice says:

I love the viewpoint for the first one and the way you captured the sky in the second. Always an inspiration, Shari.

Liked by 1 person

2. joantav says:

It is fun to see all the pieces hanging up there! i’m glad you found a good spot to sit and paint…and two views too!

3. Douglas Elliot says:

Good catch Shari.

Love both images. Every once in a while we get lucky and see in a new way something that is quite familiar to us. You found it here.

Love from Lee

• Thanks Lee. Yes, this place has never looked very inviting as I drive by, but by parking across the street, I had a whole new perspective on the place and it looked so interesting. I have a feeling I will be going back. As for the REM line, you were so right! Plus someone wrote to me about a new spur of the line that could be viewed from another place, not too far from here.

5. quokkamustardpandora63997 says:

Good grief! Just when I think I ought to stop saving pics-I have a book collection by now… Here come these two. I do like your work….What more can I say?

6. Uma Maheswar Nakka says:

Good Evening dear friend Shari,
    Very beautiful, you are good in mechanical drawings too.
    Have you done any Engineering degree!!!
    Amazing sketches.