Lunchtime panorama

The quest has been long but my search is over. For over a year I have been on the lookout for the perfect place to get a panoramic view of Montreal. One that encompasses St. Joseph’s Oratory, l’Université de Montréal, the mountain, etc. It’s not that there aren’t plenty of good vantage points but usually they are from overpasses or other busy places where I can’t park or even stop. Well I finally found the perfect view and I am almost embarrassed to say that it is in the building where I work! My office is on the third floor and I have never had any reason to go to the fifth floor because I have no classes up there. So imagine my joy when a colleague took a few of us upstairs to see a new classroom and I discovered a picture window with this view. And the added bonus is that the sill is wide enough for all my gear and there’s even a baseboard heater for drying the washes. I think it was worth the wait and I may even do a painting on a strip of real watercolour paper one of these days.

LunchtimePanorama

About these ads

25 Comments on “Lunchtime panorama”

1. Anna Cull says:

A beautiful view – and very nicely captured too. Sometimes it’s amazing what you can find in your own backyard … or up two flights of stairs : )

2. Monique says:

Oh what a gift:) Right there above your nose..

Love this..
    You’re so good.

3. Verla says:

Fabulous/magnifique!

4. Valerie Cousins says:

Great panorama. Love the winter blues and grays.

5. christine rusk says:

Hey Shari

Did you draw it from the N building?

Chris

6. This is beautiful! I love the vertical gray lines of the trees against the horizontal whites and beiges of the snowy buildings.

7. Ross C says:

This is stunning! Definitely worth a larger painting. Very loose with lots of suggested detail… it all works so well. Good layering with a great feeling of depth through those trees too.
    As for not realizing that this view was just two floors up… BHS springs to mind. : )
    Also, if you had gone upstairs in the warmer months, I imagine that you would only have seen foliage… so there was some luck involved with the timing here. And, while you were there, did you look to see what the view was like from the other sides of the building?

• Thanks so much Ross. I guess you are right about seeing this during foliage time. I would like to paint this during all the seasons. At least I know it is there now : )
      This is the same dome that was in the vertical sketch that I did in the spring, the one that is titled “Canopy”, except I was seeing the dome from ground level. I looked quickly at the views from the other windows — good but not panoramic like this. One has a good view of the rest of the college buildings, which I like very much. I have lots of plans for the fifth floor!!

• Ross C says:

I remember Canopy well… it was great.
        I’m looking forward to more paintings from the fifth floor. Now, what is going on with the colours in this one… the right side seems to be more red that the left side? Is that the scanner or intentional?

• I think I just used lots more red in the mixes on the right side. This is scanned in two parts and stitched together in Photoshop but the sketch is just more red on one side.

8. Another nice piece – how long do these lunchtime sketches take. I’ve been going out during lunch to grab a few minutes of sketch time (therapy for hours of pixel production time…). I was sketching yesterday down here in DC. It was about 20 degrees, and much lower with the windchill. My fingers and the ink in my fountain pen started to freeze up. Gotta love winter sketching!

• This one took just over an hour Jason. It is extremely cold here now too. Yesterday it was minus 26C in the morning and with the windchill it was about minus 40C in some parts of the city. I can’t believe you were outside. That would be impossible here this week. In 10 minutes you get frostbite in this weather.

9. John Wright says:

Good choice for bumping up to the USK site Sharri ! Love the colours….its amazing how those the little red buds on the maple trees give the hills that hint of maroon colour, and with shadow and underlying snow the “Szabo” mouve.

10. carolynboll says:

11. denizb33 says:

Gorgeous! I love the gentle colours.