El Born

I spent the day being a tourist in Barcelona so not much time to sketch but I did this in my neighbourhood of El Born before getting on the tourist bus. And here is a link to the blog of Javier Varas, a Barcelona photographer who took some beautiful pictures of Santa Ana church while I was painting in the cloister. I will have to use Google translate to figure out what he says but the photos are wonderful. http://photovaras.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/shari-blaukopf.html

20130707-233406.jpg

23 Comments on “El Born”

Hola Shari!

Here is a useful piece of Spanish – assuming you know how to say please and thank you and and yes and no. When you are served something delicious or enjoy something try this: A mi me gusta. Pronounced Ah-mee-may-gusta. It translates as: “It is pleasing to me” or “To me it is pleasing.” and then follow it with “Gracias.” Ask your Spanish friends first, though.

Have the time of your life.

• Hola Lee. Thanks for the Spanish tips. I did take a bit of Spanish in high school so I can get by. But Javier’s language is beyond my scope. He did send me a translation a bit later which was extra nice of him.

2. Debra Ganong says:

Hi Shari – lovely light filled sketch. We are light and air deprived these days! The photos that
    Javier Varas took were beautiful – peaceful and serene. I particularly loved the ones of you sketching. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Deb

3. Mary says:

You are bringing us to yet another beautiful, magical world Shari, through the enchantment
    of your art! Also love the pictures of you painting in the cloisters. How poetic!
    All the best for a wonderful time 🙂

4. josu maroto says:

looking forward to meet you Shari. Wich brand of watercolor would you recomend for the alizarim, ultramarine blue and the aureolin yellow??? thanks and see you soon!!! josumaroto@gmail.com

• Hi Josu. I answered on Facebook as well but in case you didn’t receive it: I use mostly Winsor Newton and Holbein. I also occasionally use Daniel Smith and lately M. Graham. Any artists quality is good.

5. Jane Hannah says:

Hi Shari — your painting is beautiful and the pictures that the photographer took of you are outstanding… have fun in BCN 😉

6. Jane Hannah says:

Shari… if you use Google Chrome it has a translator that automatically translates the texts for you in any language. It will ask you if you want it translated, and then you say yes.

7. Christy says:

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for taking us along with you!

There is also an app that you can type in your sentence and then it will translate it for you. I use itranslate and google translate has an app as well. Have fun!!

8. sefeniak says:

I can feel the sun in this one!

9. Delft says:

A beautifully sunny sketch.
    It was nice to read Javier’s post too, and see you engrossed in your work. You do bring a spot of colour into the scene, just like he says.
    I really enjoy looking at your sketches. Thank-you so much for sharing!

• Thanks! He was so kind to take and post the photos. We didn’t really talk much in the cloister because it is such a quiet place so it was wonderful to see the photos and read his post.

Loved both the sketch and the photos.
    Regarding your part in the photographer’s blog, my mild understanding of Spanish allowed me to glean the following, which I will paraphrase… “… always wanted to photograph Santa Ana and finally had the chance… would you believe it, there was this woman who placed herself right in the middle of almost every photo I wanted to take (probably one of those pesky Urban Sketchers)… I couldn’t avoid her… and she had this huge lurid pink bag! … I tried to find angles where the bag wasn’t in my photos but finally gave up and resorted to B&W… tourists! … she was probably Canadian!”
    Anyway, I think that will give you some idea of his thought process. : )

• I haven’t heard from you in a while Ross but I see you are back in fine form!

• Ross says:

Yes, I have been a bit slack with the comments lately… just a bit too busy. Not all of us have that leisurely lifestyle where we go painting for half the day, every day. : )

11. Gina B. says:

That photo captures you so well, Shari!